Audio valuations

Is anyone else interested in determining a fair value for used high end equipment? I understand we all try to sell and buy our equipment at the best price, but where to start? I recently listed
a item for sale and set a price that I thought was competitive based on very limited past sale information. I did receive an offer that was $500 less than asking price. Was I too high or was the offer too low. It would be helpful if we could see what others sold their equipment for and the condition of the equipment. I want to sell my equipment, but I don't want to give it away.
Any thoughts on this matter?
elf1
People just aren't spending on audio in general.  I just sold a pair of Revel bookshelves...  I got about $100 less than they were selling on eBay and other sites.  Given that it was a local, cash sale with no shipping involved , I'd say we were both happy.    
The only thing that keeps an item from selling in any economy is that the price is too high for the market conditions.  That could be from too few buyers, an off brand, an item on the back-side of its life span or that it's a  buggy whip for sale.
The biggest problem is the initial mark-up on audio gear when new.  The first buyer, if he/she doesn't keep that item, typically loses 1/3 to 1/2 of what they paid in a year... sometimes less time than that.  I buy all top shelf equipment (readily recognized brand names), usually demo or single owner and typically pay about 40% of the suggested retail when i get it.  So, when I go to sell it, the downside is hundreds, not thousands.  But, there are plenty of folks who buy a preamp or amp for $10,000 and don't recognize it's worth about $7,000 on the second day they own it (particularly when warranty is not transferable), and it goes down from there.  Please tell me honestly how many of you have purchased used items on a regular basis and have made substantial profits on them, or even broke even on a regular basis?  This is a spendy hobby and making the right choice the first time, and holding on to your gear is the least expensive way to play in this arena--at least I have found it to be that way.

Without prejudice to its noble intent, this post is functionally elusive , rather useless IMO , for numerous reasons. The key one is the arbitrary and fluid pricepoint peg that is totally variable and dependent in lockstep with the economy.

Simply put:

-- in economic "good times", resale prices are comparatively "generous" and arguably inflated as buyers ride the "Good Times" wave;

-- conversely in economic "poor recessionary" downturns, resale FMV prices are dramatically reduced as buyers toss around nickels like they are manhole covers.

Post removed