Audio Science Review = Rebuttal and Further Thoughts

@crymeanaudioriver @amir_asr You are sitting there worrying if this or that other useless tweak like a cable makes a sonic difference.

I don’t worry about my equipment unless it fails. I never worry about tweaks or cables. The last time I had to choose a cable was after I purchased my first DAC and transport in 2019.  I auditioned six and chose one, the Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria. Why would someone with as fulfilling a life as me worry about cables or tweaks and it is in YOUR mind that they are USELESS.

@prof "would it be safe to say you are not an electrical designer or electrical engineer? If so, under what authority do you make the following comment" - concerning creating a high end DAC out of a mediocre DAC.

Well, I have such a DAC, built by a manufacturer of equipment and cables for his and my use. It beat out a $9,000 COS Engineering D1v and $5,000 D2v by a longshot. It is comparable to an $23,000 Meridian Ultradac. Because I tried all the latter three in comparison I say this with some authority, the authority of a recording engineer (me), a manufacturer (friend) and many audiophiles who have heard the same and came to the same conclusion.

Another DAC with excellent design engineer and inferior execution is the Emotiva XDA-2. No new audio board but 7! audiophile quality regulators instead of the computer grade junk inside, similar high end power and filter caps, resistors, etc. to make this into a high end DAC on the very cheap ($400 new plus about the same in added parts).

@russ69 We must be neighbors. I frequented Woodland Hills Audio Center back in the 70s and 80s. I heard several of Arnie’s speakers including a the large Infinity speakers in a home.

fleschler

Just like we know that while sight varies among humans, no one is seeing X-rays!

As usual, you science guys always go to the extreme. Looks like life for you is digital - 0 or 1. Based on your "vision" example, look up "Veronica Seider" and her Guinness Book record. She was a normal human having super-eye. Normal eyes have visual acuity of 20/20 while Veronica’s acuity was around 20/2. She could easily distinguish people from as far as 1 mile. And before you call out, below is the link from Fact or Hoax

Veronica Seider

My point is - many people struggle at 20 feet with average vision. And yet there are individuals who have this extraordinary ability. So think about it - from 20 feet (should be 10 feet or less for people with real eye issues) to 1 mile is the variation when it comes to sight. Before you say - that is only one person - I would say - the earth's population is appox 8 Billion. And not every single person is aware of Guinness records or has time or inclination to come out with what their vision is, etc etc.

So us normal being are saying that no humans can do bat hearing. We agree with the super minds at ASR. But how difficult is it for the super intelligent beings at ASR to understand that there are people whose hearing could be so much better than people who cannot hear the difference in sound quality. You cannot measure this variation because there is currently no instrument to measure it.

No one is denying the research that Floyd Toole, Sean Olive and others have done. Does advancement in science stop there? We cannot be blind to the fact that as humans progress more research will discover things that we currently do not know. Current state-of-the-art will probably be stale in a few decades. That is the whole gist about being scientific - understand the "how to" and advance.In that sense this forum seems to be open minded about future possibility, while the scientific community seems to be harp on the notion that all that is to know about human hearing is researched and everyone is on par no more,no less.

It amuses me that in every debate you guys state about "X-ray vision" or "bat hearing". Need to get real.

@milpai ,

I will be truly amazed when you can find 1, factual, independent report of Veronica Seider’s abilities. Something so truly amazing would be studied with published research. It would show how she is able to accomplish this, either by having a grossly curved lens, which could achieve high magnification, but would make every day life exceptionally difficult, or an extremely large central eye region, which would require about 10 other birth defects all at once to make this work. This is real life though, not X-men.

It is a tall tale, one that seems to grow, including claims such as "In a demonstration before a group of Stuttgart University professors, Veronica Seider cut out a piece of paper the exact size of her thumb nail, and wrote on it — neatly set out — 20 verses of a poem; without any magnifying glass."

I do not need to have been there to know this is a fake report. It would be impossible to put 20 verses of a poem on a thumbnail sized piece of paper for 2 reasons. The first, is the size of fibers in paper would make this impossible. The second is no device a human could hold with a working stylus small enough to accomplish the task.

I think there was a bit too much beer in the guinness article. It does not say they observed it does it? The picture often associated is of a German actress. Check enough sites and it appears there was no record of this student either.

The only parallel between Veronica and much of what is discussed in audio is that neither of them exist in anything but some writings on the internet.

This ASR (Science=Measurement=Infallible) argument reminds me somewhat of selling Audio in the late 70's, early 80's and the SPECIFICATION WARS.

Customer enters the store...meet and greet... several open ended questions later... no SAE, Harman Kardon, Apt-Holman or B&O for this guy.... Too much distortion (on paper)...Customer is ALWAYS RIGHT (no matter how WRONG he is)...Biggest Technics receiver (with .001% THD) and a set of Advents (or Cerwin Vega if a youngster) is what he wants and what he is going to get. Yup, that's the Best Sound (your) Money Can Buy, Sir. Almost Zero Distortion...No Musicality... Perfect (for you)...

Next...

He is going to light it up here before all said and done

@thyname , you are so right. And he keeps forgetting to take his medication🙄