Audio Research REF600 MKI MKII

Can anyone tell me, is that worth to upgrade the AR600 MKI to MKII, and anyproblem with this giant AR600.Please advice.Thanks!
hifi

Showing 2 responses by jtinn

It is a big improvement although the 600s never quite sounded as good as the 300s. ARC released the 600 MKI then came out with the 300 MKI. They then released the 600 MKIIs. Although there was a certain grip that the 600s had that was incredible, the 300s were much more musical and are widely accepted as the best amps they made. They were never able to get the sound out of the 600 mkIIs as they got out of the 300 MKIs.

ARC has since released the Ref 300 MKII (6-7 months ago)which blows them all away. The other thing to consider is they will be releasing a 600 MKIII fairly soon.

The big problem with the 600s is the incredible amount of heat they give off as well as the power demands the have. If you do not have heavey duty circuit breakers, they will trip them almost immediately. The 300s do not have the same problems.

Good Luck!
Jimj (or whoever you are): As a matter of fact, they do not belong to me. I am selling them for a good friend who needs the money and does not have internet access. They are probably the finest amps ARC has ever made. It does not mean that I would own them or that I think they are the best out there. They are certainly up there.

I actually sold a pair of Ref 600 MKII's for another friend because he was very unhappy for all the reasons I mentioned above. They simply are not as good as the Ref 300s. Ask ARC, or most ARC dealers, or anyone who has actually owned both, they will admit the same thing.

I said "ARC people do not know any better" because the service is horrible and because most peole do not get a chance to hear some of the other products available. ARC is "mainstream", easy to audition, easy to buy and easy to sell. There are so many excellent companies out there earning a customer's business and willing to do the "right" thing for their customers, while ARC continues to take the "they are better than their customers" approach. BAT for example has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. They pay shipping and have incredibly quick turnaround time. Another company that I have heard is like that is Thor. I personally will never do business with ARC again. There are too many "APPRECIATIVE" companies out there that I would prefer to give my money to.

I have never had any dealings with you, as far as I know, and just because I chose not to get into a personal war with Dkuipers on that thread does not mean you have heard the whole story. He just is not worth my energy or time. You on the other hand may or may not be. That is left to be seen.

I answer you respectfully even though you choose to lower yourself to a level of name calling. You also choose to hide behind an obviously phony username. Maybe you are Dkuipers or maybe you are not, but certainly you are acting cowardly. Don't you have anything better to do than study my every move? I would think spending time listening to music would be much better use of your time.