Audio Research REF 80S Reviews/Comparisons

Would love to hear some opinions regarding the new REF 80S and how it compares to their previous generations of amps.  Here is my ARC amp story.

Classic 120 mono blocks - Played much stronger and more dynamic than their modest 110 wpc rating.  I found them very musical and enjoyed immensely for about 2-3 years.

REF 150 (nonSE) - This was an upgrade in all aspects.  I only sold due to the next entry

GSi75 - This was a diversion I made last year as simplification gained priority in my mind and I loved the aesthetics of this masterpiece being center stage on my shelf.  I still believe it is a phenomenal integrated for someone that has efficient speakers, which I do not(89db).

REF 75SE - This amp is far superior compared to the GSi75.  I find its power more comparable to the REF 150.  I wish I had them to A-B.  I was happy with the REF 150 and I am happy with this.  

I am in no hurry to get a REF 80S...maybe in a few years when it is replaced with an SE model and the price comes down on the S.  
dhite71

A provisional update :-), the Ref 80S is sounding fine. Very fine. I am at 65 hours so I have a ways to go and the route was fairly choppy along the way. Never terrible but often just so-so and primarily lacking in bass snap. Today, Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" and John Doe's new (and excellent) album "Fables in a Foreign Land" are deeply satisfying. 

Based upon my impressions so far the 80S has a bit softer but no less detailed sound than the Ref 150 SE. The 150 SE strikes me based upon memory as having a more "scientifically precise" sound with just a touch of dryness compared to the 80S. The 150 SE is a powerhouse and when called for it will push out bass that hits you in the gut with satisfying decay and tautness that I am still not quite getting with the 80S. But I love the sound of well-recorded electric bass guitar and on the new John Doe album I am smiling from ear to ear at how totally natural the timbre and tone of the bass sounds-something I did not get with the 150 SE. The sound of the drum toms sounds more timbrally (not really a word) correct too with the 80S. But best of all, I felt a slight nit-pick was in order with my Devore 0/93's in the upper midrange where things could sound a bit course and unnatural that I attributed to the design of the Devores. Now I question that conclusion-that perception is gone with the 80S!

@fsonicsmith

But I love the sound of well-recorded electric bass guitar and on the new John Doe album I am smiling from ear to ear at how totally natural the timbre and tone of the bass sounds-something I did not get with the 150 SE. The sound of the drum toms sounds more timbrally (not really a word) correct too with the 80S.

Finding the ARC Reference 80S is more natural in reproducing tone and timbre would be enough for me to declare it superior to the REF 150 SE. This capability is so crucial (to me anyway) and many components fall short in this area.

I know that there is more to come with regard to listening impressions as playing time hours accumulate. However knowing it excels with "natural" presentation/tone/timbre makes it a keeper already.🙂

Charles