Audio Research Ref 110 vs. ARC HD220

Has anyone heard these two amps side by side. I am familiar with technical/theoretical differences, but I have yet to hear them in a way where I could compare. I know the 110 is all tubes vs the hybrid design of the HD220. I have an LS26 and a CD3 MkII already. I currently own Vandersteen 3a sigs and am strongly considering the Vandersteen quatros. Given my equipment what are your thoughts about those two amps. I am concerned about the 110's out capabilities since I occasionally like to listen at loud volume levels. Both speakers are in essentially the same price range so price is of little issue. I have yet to see/read a review of the 220 and I know the 110 has been enthusiastically acclaimed.
Thanks for your input.
128x128jhconnor

Showing 1 response by krellfan2002

Well I heard them both side by side for a long time. The Ref 110 has more bloom but the HD220 has more slam and bass attack. Also I felt the HD220 is more synamic. For female voices the Ref110 was better. For Jazz and pop music the HD220 was much better to my opinion.

Overall I preferred the HD220. If it is better than a big Krell for example I do not know. I found the sound very good, much better than any ARC solid state amps I ever heard. I found their solid state amps horrible and the HD220 fantastic.

Peter