Audio Research Corporation ARC Reference 600

Has anybody had any experience with these, good or bad? I had VTL MB 750's before and loved them, but had to sell due to finances. I see the ARC Ref 600's use a lot of tubes. I do not need a that power, but I like the whole paraphernalia of the hobby. It's like having a hot rod. Sure, you don't "need" 500 horse power. Lol. Would anyone recommend the ARC Ref 600's, or should I look elsewhere?
128x128richdeben

Showing 2 responses by hifigeek1

Although I am an ARC warranty repair station and would be happy to service them for you, the fact is with a total of 32 6550 output tubes and 8 regulator 6550's you have multiplied your chances of arcing a tube by a large percentage. Unless you need that kind of power, (you didn't mention the speakers you would be using or their sensitivity), and you have friends to help you shlep them around, I would tend to look for a lighter, lower powered ARC amp. Ref 75's are nice.
Let me also add that since you have speakers that have a 102dB sensitivity @ 1W 1 meter, noise becomes more of an issue. The Ref75 should be quiet enough, but what kind of preamp are you using? The s/n ratio of some tube preamps would be low enough to cause a definite backround hiss through your speakers which you may find objectionable. This noise can interfere with imaging, front to back depth, and low level detail. Just thought I would throw that in.