Audio Research 75 SE

I just heard there is an Audio Research Ref 5 SE and they are offering the update to Ref 75 owners. Not only includes the 150 tube but also some circuit changes to better accommodate the new tube. Audio Research states this is a dramatic improvement as much so as from Ref 5 to the Ref 5SE.. Anybody heard it.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcarey1110

Showing 8 responses by carey1110

It does appear that the wires from the ICs to the circuit board have been replaced with different ones,
That's weird, I don't know why it tripled, but yes it's is Sooooo important, ha!!
M18764ag
I'll let you know when mine comes back.. I just sent it in. Hamburger may be fine till you've tasted steak. Most of their improvements usually are just that, so I'm excited to hear the difference. I'll keep you posted.
Well I sent my Ref 75 back for the upgrade and just got it back today.. Its been on for two hours and I have to say I really like it much better than before. I used the KT 150 for a couple months before sending in for the upgrade( shh! Don't tell anyone) and I tell you the improvement is substantial. The first thing I notice is how cleaned up the sound is especially in the upper registers. Much more open.. Its funny when you think you're hearing everything and then you find out there was still another veil that could still be removed.. Seems like a slightly increase in tonal richness in the mids as well. Smoother top to bottom, more coherent.. There you have it my initial impression.. I'll keep you posted the night is young.
Sounds great!! I've been meaning to go to dinner but I'm having a hard time pulling myself away..This is just what I needed:-) No regrets here. Just one more cut then I have to go, Ha!
The amp was done in about a week..But I waited another week for the SE badges to come in.. Expect a week to 10 days I'd say.
the top cover is the same but there is more room above the tubes.. Calvin said they were lowering the board I believe..He said it would be identical the the new ones being produced. Mine was less than 4 months old when I sent it in.