Armstrong 626 Receiver

I recently got an Armstrong 626 receiver from England. This is a very little known unit in the US, and is very rare here also. I got a chance to hear and compare one to other top name receivers and amps during the 80's, when someone traded a 626 in at a high-end shop I worked at. I was very impressed with the sound, and always wanted to get one.They have been out of business since about 1980. I think this receiver is about the best one I've ever heard. Easily better than the Tandberg, Revox, B&O, and also the Rogers, Quad, Meridian, and Arcam inegrated/tuner combos. Analog tuner is on par with Tandberg, with really good capture,sensitivity, selectivity, and provides imaging and soundstage that is hard to find with tuners. The amp is 40 watts with high current, and a large toroid transformer.It's very clean power, and I think it would drive Quad ESL's great. Front end includes a good phono section. This is a keeper. The only down side is the DIN connectors, since it was a Euro market item. Is there anyone out there who has one or has heard one? This is one of the biggest secrets in audio gear that I can think of.
twl

Showing 2 responses by sherod