Are my Virgos efficient enough?

I'm expecting delivery later in the week of a pair of KR Audio VT 6000 monoblock amps. They output 20wpc in Class A with the special KR Audio 300 bxl tubes. I'm wondering will this be anough power to drive my Audio Physic Virgo IIs? I believe they are relatively sensitive at 89db, but they also operate at 4ohm load, so not sure if that will make a difference. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should seek out more efficient speakers to get better results, or if the Virgos will do the amps justice. Right now I drive the speakers with Blue Circle BC2 monos to great effect (75wpc in Class A), and Supratek Syrah. I would be looking at speakers in the same price bracket (used) as the Virgos. Over time though, I would be tempted by the JM Lab Mezzo Utopia or GR-Research Line Source (again, assuming my amps could drive them). Thanks in advance for advice. Cheers,
John.
128x128outlier

Showing 2 responses by bemopti123

If you love the Virgos and are getting new low powered amps, why not look for speakers that are not necessarily expensive but will mate well with the Krs? A pair of fullrange single driver speakers seem to be on call here. I recommend those that use Fostex drivers or even the Carolina Audio speakers with the Jordan fullrange drivers. They might mate the amp better than the Virgos. I am somehow not turned on with the Bass reflex speakers that use Fostex, I tend to favor horn loaded designs like the Zhorn or even the Medallions. BTW, I own a pair of Zhorns with 8" Fostex, nice drive and sufficient low end, of course will never be like the Virgos in the bass department. I have driven these speakers with 3 low powered amps, a 300B Assemblage Platinum amp (9watts), a 47 Labs Shigaraki integrated (20 balsy watts) and presently with a Final Music 6 amplifier, (SS entirely battery powered with the most incredible 10 watts I have ever heard)...the last match is my current reference. It has not prompted me to attempt to change my set up and I do not see any noticable changes in the future.

PAUL
I forgot, I have a powered subwoofer with a 850 watts class D amp driving the low end, so now, there is SET and slam when needed. I have also watched quite a few movies in this set up and how Gregm said, there is an intangible something about low power or SET power for that matter in any sound material that you may want.

PS: Just wished my TV was larger and better than what it is now...19" RCA...but, sound takes precedence to everything else.