Are MULLARD NOS EL34s and LTA ZOTL40 REF worth the price of admission?

I'm considering giving an older Linear Tube Audio (LTA) ZOTL40 Ref amp an audition.  LTA has a factory upgrade that includes upgrading to Mullard NOS EL34s for $800 (or less with additional discounts).  I am wondering if quad set of old-stock Mullard EL34s are worth the $800 price of admission?  I don't pretend to know what anyone else's budget is but $800 for quad EL34s seems like a lot.  If I'm paying the premium, it better be across the board and not just improvements on chamber music or obscure Chinese opera (no offense intended).  Does anyone have experience with either NOS Mullard tubes or LTA ZOTL40 Ref amp?  If so, please chime in.  Thanks.
128x128bananaslug

Showing 1 response by gkr7007

I bought the LTA Reference 40 earlier this year.  It came with the NOS Mullards.  It is the finest amp I've heard.  A true giant killer.  It is just stunning.  As for the tubes there isn't a current production tube that can compare with the NOS Mullard EL34, which is one of the finest sounding audio power tubes to be produced.  Those, combined with that David Berning circuit in the LTA, is just a match made in heaven.