Are Buchardt A500 Signature Edition A Good Choice For First Speakers?

For the past few years I've been limited to a headphones only setup due to having three kids, five and under, at home. Now they're all off to school and I'm looking to purchase my first set of desktop speakers, or similar size, for my desk area. I'm still confined to the loft, so nothing too big, but the Buchardt A500 Signature Edition look to fit the bill. Are these good speakers for $5,000? I like that they are active and I don't have to figure out an additional amp and crossovers to power them. How is the sound quality compared to other speakers in their price range? Is there anything cheaper but better? I was hoping that Borresen will have a new X model desktop version, like the new X3, but only smaller, but that may be out of my price range if it ever becomes available. Thanks for the advice. 

jackjohnson316

I am going round on the Buchardt A500 SE and the regular S400 with the matching integrated I150 amp. I like DSP speakers ...  I think I can find a good deal on some used S400's and the amp maybe coming in around $3600 USD plus cables .. 

I’ve been doing a lot more research and one company I came across is Zu Audio. They have two speakers, the DW6 and the DWX, that are both relatively affordable and are also unique in that they don’t require crossovers. So my search for my first set of speakers has broadened to Buchardt active or passive speakers, and Zu Audio speakers with the upgrade package. It’s getting complicated with so many options for speakers and amps, but hopefully I land on something I’ll like and stick with for a while. 

Another option is to get the standard Buchardt A500, which costs significantly less than the Signature Edition. At current exchange rates, around $3800 USD for the standard version vs $5300 USD for the Signature Edition.

The significant difference in the Signature Edition is that it uses Purifi woofer drivers for enhanced bass performance, but the standard A500 already has excellent bass.

The Signature Edition is produced in limited runs of 50, and it is currently sold out. If you wanted it, you’d have to wait for them to release a new batch or find a used pair.