ARC ref 210 vs ref 150

Looking into used market for upgrading my amp and considering these. Which would you guys choose and why assuming space is not an issue. I have ARC ref5se pre, levinson 331 amp driving Dynaudio confidence c4.
chenglo1

Showing 3 responses by mikey8811

Hi Gpgr4blu

I am considering a Ref 150 (non SE) to drive Vienna Acoustics Kiss speakers. My concern based on hearing non Classic Audio Research amps is that they veer more towards solid state than tubey and your comments that they are on the side of light and airy strikes a note as I like bloom and warmth, moving on from Krell. My other consideration was Ayre.

What is your system? Do you have any views of pairing a Ref 150 with a Cary SLP 05 preamp (which I have now).

Thanks
Unfortunately, I cannot listen to it first before I purchase. Your comments hit my concerns right on.

It's interesting that you have heard the Ayre mono's and preferred the Ref 150 to them. In what ways was the Ref 150 superior.

I have heard the Ayre mono's AB'ed with the no frills D'Agostino Master Power Classic (likely not the Momentum you heard). In this case, with Avalon speakers, the Ayre's sounded better and more forgiving (read rolled off) to me.

With regards to the pre, it needs to be matched with an amp with a fairly high input impedance. The Ref 150 SE is listed on the ARC website as having one of 300 kOhms and that should be sufficient. Is that the same with the Ref 150?

“a palpability that is simultaneously well rooted in space but holographic” – man that sounds tremendously good.