ARC 100.2 VS AYRE V5Xe with Thiel 2.2s

Calling all Audiogoner's
I have been narrowing my search space for suitable amps, to drive my 2.2s. I have been through a bunch of amps lately, in an attempt to characterize them as well as find a long term keeper. I wrote, in another post, about my current amp, an Aragon 8002, and how mediocre my system sounded with that...until I replaced the TLC-1 with an ARC LS-15 (retubed with EH-Platinums 6922). The sound is totally different now. Enjoyable really, but it is not quite where I know it can be, esp in the high frequency/ air category. The bass is awesome with the Aragon, and I have no desire to improve on it in that category ( I did not know the 2.2s could sound so deep and powerful ).
There is a characteristic warmth to the overall sound that I know is mostly attributed to the Aragon. On some recordings its welcome, on others I sense it too much and wich for greater transparency.
Anyway, I am looking for specific experience here, with the ARC 100.2 and/or Ayre V5 to be the next amp. I have read that folks used the 100.2 to drive the 3.6s (much tougher to drive); that is encouraging. It is a rare moment when I am home alone to crank it, so my listening is moderate on avg. I think 200-ish hi-quality watts into 4 ohms is plenty for me.
Thanks for your time!
128x128dpac996

Showing 4 responses by zaikesman

I've owned 2.2's for 9 years, but haven't used any of the amps you mention. What were the "bunch of amps" you've been through lately, and in what ways did none improve on the Aragon (if I take your implication correctly)? Can you also tell me the rated power of that amp, and the size of your room? And how did the ARC and Arye amps get to be your two finalists? It seems from your post that you haven't actually heard them with your speakers, but I'm assuming you've heard them somewhere...
I own the DNA-125 and 500, but haven't heard the 225. It's true the 500, which is based on a bridged 225, is not a 'rich' or 'dark' sounding amp, but has great extension and dimensionality, as well as clarity/resolution. Perceived tonal balance is an interrelated phenomenon. I find the 500's bass is the most complex and authoritative I've had, but it's so well-defined and integrated, and the entire spectrum so free from compression, that the LF actually doesn't call as much attention to itself as with some lower-powered and -priced amps I've had. In any case, the 2.2 isn't really a speaker for assessing ultimate LF 'weight' and 'slam' (my room is about 14 x 23 x 8, open to a staircase into another room). I guess if I were you, based on your positive comments about the 225 in your other threads, I'd want to hear it again with your current preamp. But I'll be interested to learn your impressions of the Ayre.
Belasarius: Gee, with comments like $40K Wilsons not sounding any better than your 2.2's (last seen going used for around $1K), you might start a market run on 'em and help me upgrade to the forthcoming 3.7's :-)