ARAGON 8008 MK.2 or McCormack DNA 225

I have a pair of Paradign Studio 100 v.3 speakers. My amp is the Aragon 8008 mk2 with an Aragon 28k mk2 preamp. Cd player is a Cary 308. Wire is Audioquest. I thought about buying a Adcom GFP 750 preamp and running it balanced with the 8008. Or maybe buying the McCormack DNA225 amp and RLD1 preamp. What would be better? Thanks.
diorioa222b

Showing 1 response by exertfluffer

Actually, I've sold both in the past. I think the Aragon isn't that extended actually. The McCormack is slighly better IMO for most applications. and is more neutral sounding for your otherwise "warmish sounding" Studio 100's!
Also, don't waste your time with the Adcome 750(suggestion). It's hightly over rated and mis-classed!(more like "Class C" in my experience from selling it/using it!!!
There are many better chioces for the same money. If you're going to do "passive/pure" preamp chioces, finding an old Pass Aleph L/P is much better! It's got no dynamic "pick-up" like any passive, so you'll have to judge your mix. Otherwise, there are a lot of very good potential tube pre's out there that might give you the sound you need. good luck