Appropriate Power for 1.7i's

I am sure this is the type of question that gets asked a lot, so I beg your indulgence for one more:

I have recently upgraded my speakers to a pair of Magnepan 1.7i's.  I am enjoying these speakers even though I know they are not receiving an optimal signal.  My goal is to provide a better signal.

My primary source is TIDAL HiFi, and here is my current setup

Power:  Yamaha HTR-5450 (only front channels used).  Ostensibly 85 w/channel --- I am aware that the specs for home theater receivers tend to be -ah optimistic.

DAC:  ifi nano iDSD (burr-brown)

Digital signal provided by PC

My budget for upgrading the Yamaha is modest:  $700-$900

Here is my want list:

100+ w/channel Stereo into 4 ohms.  ( I have no need for more channels):  Preferably Class A/B  (as opposed to D)

I am not opposed to purchasing used, in spite of the additional effort involved.

I am considering the Denon Heos and  Sonos Connect as a preamp.  I am not opposed to an integrated amp, but I like the fact that these units allow me to control my selection via a phone app (my phone is an LGv20 w/ Android 7).  Since I tend to listen to albums rather than individual songs or even playlists, the lack of this convenience is not a deal killer for me.

128x128markainsworth

Showing 2 responses by gkr7007

I've owned Maggie's for quite some time and had the 1.7's for a while before going to the 3.7i's.  The mags simply ate some amps I tried.....chewed then up and spit them out.  There aren't many integrated or HT amps that are going to get the full potential out if those planars.  Some folks say they are quite happy with the sound with what they have, but until you hear those ribbons sing with a solid power supply you won't know what your missing.  Magnepan used to show their amps with Bryston and now use Pass labs.  Both high current designs that are pretty stable.  I've recently gone to Odyssey monos that are stable below 2 ohms.  They run only around 375 watts at 4 ohms, but put out massive current as there is 200000 microfarad of high quality capacitance and have an 850 va massive toroid.  And that's PER SIDE.  Great damping factor also that has brought the bass out of a speaker they say is weak on lower end.  So now the amps are exerting control on the speakers instead of the other way around.  Absolutely the best sound out of Maggie's I've ever had and the amps don't even break a sweat.  I match these with a tubed pre or tubed DAC and  I'm in audio heaven whenever I sit down for a listening session. Klaus Bunge of Odyssey is pretty well schooled in producing amps for difficult loads as his designs are based on the excellent Symphonic Line amps.  He will custom build a stereo or some monos for not a lot of money.  And you'll die a thousand deaths when you realize what you're 1.7's are capable of.  Current....current..... current.
The last I heard Steve McCormack is out of the production and repair fields.  Repairs are being handled by Conrad - Johnson and there is no further production of McCormack products.  Its a shame because Steve was one of the good guys in the industry.  Not sure what happened.