Apogee Mini DAC: Connection questions

I have recently purchased an Apogee Mini DAC. It sounds incredible. I bought the non-USB version and am connecting it to my computer via a U24 Waveterminal card. I have a couple of questions:

1. Would I get a better sound if I purchased the USB card unit for the Mini-DAC? Or is the sound better going from a quality external card like the U24.

2. I am currently using a glass toslink to connect the mini dac to my waveterminal. I have heard people say coax is better, but others have said toslink is better when computers are involved. Any insights?

Thanks.

dshea
dshea_32665
dshea:

i just did a quick test with my headphones, i think the line out had a less next-to-your-ears feel plus a slightly clearer sound across the board than the headphones out (can be inaccurate, take it with a grain of salt). the line out can drive the sennheisers to louder-than-normal volume level as well.

i am using an aftermarket elpac medical power supply plus a running springs haley power conditioner with my mini dac (power cords are DIY vh audio flavor 4 with wattgate/furutech gold plugs). the elpac power supply gives a more holographic sound with better transparency than the stock.

i can be usually found around a'gon and a'asylum these days. never miss headfi, its fascist administration and site sponsored shilling one bit.

hugo
Hey Hugo,

Do you think it would be worth the upgrade to add the USB card connection. If there wouldn't be any major upgrade in sound quality, $195 may be a bit much to eliminate my Waveterminal U24 from the chain. It is connected to the DAC with a glass toslink.

Are you using an amp with your unit? or are you still using a balanced Zu connected directly to the XLR jacks?

I continue to be intrigued by the different sounds coming from the headphone out and line out. Some things sound a little better to me with the more "wet" sounding trebles from the headphone out, but most things seem to sound a bit better from the fuller and more detailed bass and mids from the line out. It is like having two different setups, both sound excellent.

When I get my Zu back I suspect that is what I will settle on.

cheers,
dshea
i am using a dynahi with my mini-dac, a properly built dynahi sounds way better than driving the 650s with the balanced out.

skip the usb option if you don't really need to use it with your computer.
Hugo,

Sorry one more question. Did you ever mess with the inner unit adjustments for the XLR output, or did you use the factory default?

cheers,
dshea