APL Denon 3910 Question

I have the original APL Denon 3910, with balanced outputs, originally purchased for only 2 channel audio use. (2005). Now I want to use it for Video through HDMI output and 2 channel audio through the balanced audio outputs. The video circuitry is intact, but my question is: When listening to audio only, it is set to "All off" at Alex' recommendation; when video is used, it has to be set to "Normal". Does this then by-pass Alex' advanced audio circuitry and is it operating as a stock Denon or does the APL better audio circuitry still operate? I wondered, while I am waiting for Alex to answer this question, if anybody knows?
springbok10

Showing 1 response by fplanner2000

S-
My suggestion is to just demo a cable from the cable company to avoid making a "purchase" if the cost of the cable is high.

I also have a modded APL Denon with video intact and altho I never tried what you are trying, my educated guess would be that you still get the benefit of the APL mods. As I recall, he suggested "all off" only to get the purest possible signal, therefore your cable purchase will still probably be valid, as I understand your question.

Please let us know what you find out. My Denon was re-modified by Alex last December to act as a 32-bit AKM DAC, but prior to that when I used it I ran it single-ended into my preamp with no problems. I'm guessing maybe our machines are just different (I have se and balanced outputs).

BTW - ALex has been responsive to my e-mails over the past several weeks - sometimes it just takes a little patience as he frequently travels to different locations in Europe.