anyone hear the levinson 436's or 432 yet

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the levinson 436's or 432 amps.

Michael
radioheadokplayer

Showing 1 response by fetguy

I got to try a Bryston 4BSST against one at the store. Same speakers, preamp, source and cable (which may,or may not, be the best way to hear a Bryston). I was amazed that the SST was able to keep up quite handily to the Levinson.

The Levinson (as might be expected) was slightly more refined on top, triangle and bells were more delicate sounding and had better accustic fade. But...the Bryston had more flavor in the midrange and seemed slightly "wetter" in sound. The Bryston, in that system, was, in total more musically interesting to listen to. Voices were more human-like. The salesman was standing there looking shocked...so I did not buy a Levinson amp that day...though I did buy the 390S cd-player as a consolation gift to the salesman...hah! I bought it because it was the best cd-player I ever heard (that included the Wadia in the same room).

For all I know the cabling and speaker was not optimum for the Levinson amps...these things are so hard to know. Synergy trumps price every time.