Anyone have any input on JM Lab Cobalt 816S

A Freind has a pair of the JM Lab 716S Chorus line and I really like the sound of them, I'm conidering a pair of the Focal JM Lab Cobalt 816S, If I purchase these speakers it would be by mail. Unfortunately I can't listen to them. Therefore I have nothing to compare them to. Do they compare to the chorus line? If anyone owns a pair of these. Let me know how you like them! Thanks for your input.
joe56

Showing 1 response by tone2222

I bought a 5 channel Focal surround system with the 816s in the front left and right main speaker positions. Using the Marantz SR-EX14 surround reciever (which many credit with sounding phenominal in 2-channel stereo mode) I also found the 816s to be bright. I then added a McIntosh SL1 12" subwoofer to the mix which balanced the 816s highs and now it sounds crisp, detailed and has the bass impact that should have come with the 816 to begin with (maybe the 826 has the extra midbass for this reason). Nonetheless, by adding a subwoofer the 816s become bargains. If you want to warm things up from there you could always integrate a Conrad Johnson tube preamp or a maybe even a used tube stage buffer like the Z-Man or Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer.