Any truth to keeping the retail prices the same ?

........does it make sonic sense to purchase equipment that is all in or around the same price range???? So, your amp costs $5,000 your pre-amp $6,000 and your speakers were also $6,000 and your front end was $5,0000... you get the picture. Is there any truth that this could help with the overall synergy of the system ????? Why I ask I have seen $15,000 speakers here driven with a good intergrated amp, but the retail of the intergrated amp was about $4,000. I don't know as that just does not seem to make any sense. Your thoughts
garebear

Showing 2 responses by zd542

"does it make any sonic sense and there truth to it ????"

No. Focus on sound quality and how well the components work together, not price. Sometimes it works out that everything is close in price, and sometimes there is a big difference. Also, the overall price/performance of similar components can change over time. For example, the price of good sounding CD players has been coming down. A $500 CD player today may sound just as good as a 10 year old $1000 player.
"01-20-14: Raks
My $15,000 MSRP Wilson Duette speakers are driven by my Theta Intrepid 5 channel amp that sells new for $1,700 and my system never sounded better."

Theta amps are very underrated. Are you using more than 2 channels? I don't recall any Wilson speakers that have more than 1 set of binging posts.