AMR DP-777, what am I missing ?

There are a lot of people here who love this DAC, I purchased one (used) based on the many glowing reviews, but feel like this DAC falls short.
To be sure it bested (by not a lot) my Wavelength Cosecant (better imaging and bass) but I still prefer my modest analog setup (Rega RP6, Shelter 500).

I am sure my digital front-end is not super tuned: IMac, audirvana, no-name USB cable to DAC. But before I spend more money I would love some advice from the good folks in this forum on how I can make this $5000 retail DAC at least come close to my modest analog setup that cost much less retail without spending too much coin.

Do I need to invest in a music server, or maybe a USB to SPDIF, or better USB cable or all of the above.

Rest of my system.
Coincident Line stage
Coincident Dragon mk2 monoblocks
Verity Parsifal Encore speakers.

Thanks.
essrand

Showing 4 responses by williewonka

Essrand - if your DAC's USB circuits utilize the power provided via the USB cable, then this post may assist

Do You Use USB for Streaming?

I've found this cable to be the best I've tried to date

If your DAC does not use the power provided via the USB cable then this approach will not provide any benefit

I've used KLEI gZero3 and gZero6 IC's on my DAC with great success - they actually allow components to work considerably better than most conventional IC's due to their design. My DAC actually runs cooler with these cables

Regards...
Essrand - even though the available amount says "0" the advertisement still seems to be active.

Try contacting the seller - Doukmall and ask them if they will be getting more.

Go to this link and click on Contact Seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-supply-and-USB-cable-separate-audio-signal-cable-/251589388236?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:

I don't know of anyone else that sells these

However there are alternatives - like the Aqvox
http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

There are a couple of other brands but they are very expensive - Acoustic Revive is one - iFi Audio Gemini is another

That's about it - other that DIY

I hope you are successful :-)
Essrand - something else I've tried just this week - I now use dbPoweramp to rip CD's - the SQ is significantly better than using iTunes or MAX.

You can get a free 21-day fully loaded evaluation version - after that it reverts to a crippled free version

Just google dbpoweramp

Regards...
Essrand - Did you setup Audirvana to up-sample or not?

I do not up-sample at all and disable the volume control - my DAC seems "happier" with that config

WRT iMac vs Mac-Mini
- When my iMac's hard drive failed the technicians really messed up the display while trying to fix the drive
- wished I'd gone with the Mac-Mini - also easier to transport to the Apple Store
- But I did get a new iMac due to their cock-ups :-)

Regards...