Amps with meters ...

are just a lot better than amps without meters.

erik_squires
Meters cost more originally, and later sell for money than same model without meters. I sold my McIntosh MC2250 (no meters) earlier in the year. Originally the version with meters was +$800.00 more, and definitely costs more used than my amp without meters.

People love them, but, they are not well understood. Sensitivity switches are/were needed (just to get them to move) as most music needs very little power, unless you have low sensitivity speakers.

Here is Roger Russell's McIntosh site, click on 'Amplifier Meters', and 'Power Guard'.

http://www.roger-russell.com/mcintosh2.htm

As for balance, I prefer my ears, and find the Stereo Reverse option of McIntosh pre-amps very helpful. Then, I love my remote balance so I can tweak any individual track from my listening position. It is amazing how much difference a very slight balance adjustment can make.

If I had meters, fun at first, but after a while I am sure I would want them dimmed or off. Some cover them with tape if off feature does not exist.

Tuners with oscilloscopes are the best tuners

@andrewkelley
This has always been true, and no one can dispute it.

I e got some old carver m500 amps.   Love how the light up the room.    Thinking about upgrading the lights in one to led. 
I thochingught when I bought my Mac 4100 was col with the colored led power indicators were cool for a while, but got annoying watcing them bounce up and down after a while.