AMPS - the Ayre V5-xe and the Classe CA 2200

......opinions on both of these amps driving a 4 ohm speaker. Personal opinion on sonic characteristics would also be helpful.
garebear

Showing 1 response by garebear

Thanks Davt.....I just wish that Ayre had more of a '' middle of the road '' priced amp. They have the mono-blocs for $18,000 and then a stereo version of them for $15,000. The V5-xe is a nice amp but does lack the bottom end. I am in full agreement with the company backing aspect of any piece of equipment that I buy. Classe made some changes on their newer amps like the CA 2300 in which they increased the total watts of the amp but changed the way they are biased. The Classe CA 2200, which I own by the way, has the first 30 watts as class A power in which you noted made for a nicer, sweeter sound. The CA 2300 has more of an impact on the music. I just bought a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M's which is a 4 ohm speaker......so, looking for a little more power, but I belive that I am approaching that '' law of diminishing return '' .....where the more you spend are you really getting more in sonics......