amp or preamp next?

Hi everyone,

Well, after auditioning many integrated amps, I'm contemplating a move into separates. I have been running a NAD 375BEE integrated with an Oppo 105 (and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent NAD sound). Recently, I hooked up the Oppo directly to the main-in of the NAD, bypassing the preamp section, and the sound became more transparent and more revealing. Voices and instruments just seem to be much more realistic now.

So, I started thinking about upgrading the amp to something better than the NAD. Or, should I look for a preamp first? I'm not sure what I'd gain by placing a preamp between the Oppo and the NAD if I like the sound now, but I don't know much about separates.

Maybe a tube preamp??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
smrex13

Showing 2 responses by zd542

"I appreciate any other input you might have. So, are you saying that using the Oppo direct to an amp is going to give me better sound than running it through a preamp?"

It depends. Using a passive or a source that has a volume control is a very cost effective way to get good sound. An active preamp has the potential to sound better but only if you get a really good one.
"Most preamps, tube or solid state, and most passive controls too, put signal current through the shield."

Wouldn't a good dielectric prevent that from happening?