44.1K/16bit is not a HD format. I don't know why Amazon call it HiRes. for most people an MP3 320kps is more than enough and compact on mobile device. For audiophile folks on this forum, 96K/24bit is barely minimum. I would say 192k/24bit or DSD64 get you into real HiFi. And only Qobuz have the most HiRe. Tidal's MQA is 2nd next to Qubuz.
Thank you usery for your link to the https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html link.  Now i know for sure that the higher res files (beyond cd quality) don't matter to me and that I couldn't really tell a difference between Spotify at high quality sound setting and Amazon cd quality or ultra high resolution sound quality.  Of course i also discovered on the audiocheck.net website that i can't hear anything above 13kHz either! 

as for the so called "free" trial

I signed up yesterday thinking what's to lose with a free trial. Then I see a $7.99 charge from Amazon Music on my credit card today. I call and am told that the HD trial is free but you have to have a $7.99 unlimited account to get the free trial. Of course, I ask how can it be free when I get charged $7.99? They said again, only free if you pay for unlimited

I canceled and got my $7.99 back

first they have a setting that says you get HD downloads when it turns out that is not actually a download even when you pay for the song like I foolishly did,  it is only for offline listening, any actual download is low resolution MP3, now this

f**k em, I'm done with em

herman:

Welcome to the world of "you're not smart enough to figure out we are lying to you."  Especially on this forum where you will find people who tell you you need to spend $1000 for a power cord or must break in your $300 AC receptacle by plugging it into your refrigerator for a month.