Am I wrong to feel satisfied???

After 30 years in this hobby, and almost constant experimenting, I am now totally and unconditionally happy with the sound that I've acheived. This is an uncomfortable feeling, I don't really know where to go from here. I'm so used to twaeking this and upgrading that, that to just be happy and listening to music is a strange and unfamiliar disposition. No longer do I have the feeling that my analog front end needs upgrading, or my digital front end, or preamp, amp, speakers, etc......

Where do I go from here? Just step off the merry-go-round and leave the hobby? Hand in my Audiophile Anonymous card? It's a strange feeling, that I cannot recall experiencing before...............Maybe that new Shunyata V-Ray is worth the hype. :-)

Psyche! It can't really get any better...........can it???
I'm sure I could get different, as I have before, but I don't think I could do better, at least according to my tastes. Now, the trick is can I just leave it the f&*# alone??

What to do....or what NOT to do....that is the question.....

Cheers,
John
128x128jmcgrogan2

Showing 1 response by dpac996

Shadorne: "How long this can last I don't know but for me it is realistic volume levels and effortless dynamics that seem to do the most for me to create the illusion of a live performance"

Keep that up and I bet it won't be happening for much longer... 1 to 2 hours at realistic SPLs will do wonders for your ENT doctor -lol
All kidding aside, I hear you about the dynamics. When i'm at a live show, say something at the 930 club in DC, i'm blown away by the percussive energy and raw power that fills the space. I don't sit there and think about imaging or timbre or any of this hi-fi nonsense (although sometimes I say there is no way home audio comes close,cripes, just listen to attack of drums up close...no way!)... and there is so much more of a physical aspect to live sound--who jumps up and down at home?..o snap I need to keep my head 6 inches w/in the sweet spot...when i'm there I can listen to that music sheet paper turn, and that wrinkle in Diana Krall's upper lip causing the texture to change ...even better than the real thing...?

So aside from me ripping the hobby I love,

John: hats off to you!! Though i'm not there quite yet I aim to be off the hampster wheel soon...