Am I going to regret the Gallo 3.1s?

I am not rich. I am college student that doesnt have a ton of money and love music. It all started years ago with AV123.com and the purchase of the Onix SP3/Reference 1 combo. Over the years, I have loved the combo but wanted to move into a more dynamic full range speaker... Years went by and as the Gallos came out, there was something about the design that just sucked me in, making me really want a pair. The problem was, they were just waaaay too expensive. Well, times have changed and I now have the money to finally get my hands on a pair for under 2k. My question is... is it too late? Are they outdated? Is there "something better" for the money now?
vedder323

Showing 16 responses by vedder323

Im curious as to why you think its too small? Is there some place out there that indicates this or is that just your opinion? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

No, I dont want a monitor, I want a full range speaker so the ML1 is not going to cut it.
Pulled the trigger on a B stock of the 3.1s straight from Gallo... $1500, done and done.

Now the REAL wait begins.
I would say the most appealing thing for me in listening is the soundstage and detail. I appreciate when a speaker can totally disappear and all you hear is the mix. I am also a fan of impact and dynamics like hearing the cannons go off on telarcs 1812 overture. I listen to classic rock, alternative rock, jazz, blues and classical music.
Thanks for the help, I have never heard any of the Gallos, there isnt a place in town that has them so there is no way to listen to them without buying them.

My room is very small, 10ftx9ft.

My setup is the Logitech Squeezebox > Onix SP3 36watt/channel tube integrated amp.

Thanks
I am planning on raising them up a foot or so with concrete blocks. I am also planning on a classdaudio amp with the dodd audio buffer as soon as I recoup the funds from the speaker purchase (1 step at a time)
It doesnt seem all that out of reach to power the Gallos, those classdaudio amps are getting a lot of attention and can be had under $600.
I cant help but think that both Branislav and Dodogue are the voices of reason here. Not because its what I want to hear but because I have read so many reviews/experiences in countless forums that suggest the same. In fact, the first review that turned me onto the idea of power was from Srajan in 2005. Keep n mind, this was with the 3.0s but id think the same would apply to the 3.1s in terms of sensitivity.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/onix/onix_3.html

"The SP3 and Gallos tangoed as well together as the two impossibly intertwined professional young dancers during the closing credits of Robert Duvall's Assassination Tango that make the otherwise questionable movie."

"I found myself looking for road-house and boogie-woogie piano because the SP3 and Gallos really loved to rumble down low."

"Being a 1st-order series design without a network on the mid/tweeter transition, the Gallos are arguably somewhat of a forgiving load. But the plain fact remains that a $1,000 tube integrated has no business manhandling 10-inch acoustic suspension woofers with Sunfire-type surrounds like today's babe managed as easy as humble pie."

And here is a followup review on the 3.1s from John Potis that indicates the questions about using the Gallos in a small listening room.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo5/ref31.html

"For a long time, I've been wondering why nobody produces a SOTA speaker designed for small rooms. And I'm not talking about monitors. I'm talking about a speaker that gives near full-range bass reproduction and works well with small rooms by not overloading them. There aren't many (if any) speakers that can produce 34Hz (let alone 22Hz) in a small room without creating all manner of problems. Well, the Gallos do that kind of bass without the problems and for considerably less money than comparable monitors that won't touch them in the bass."

"Am I seriously calling the Ref 3.1 a state-of-the-art loudspeaker designed for small rooms? You bet."
While i said im in school and not rich, i certainly am far from struggling with debt. I am in my last year and working full time making enough money to fund my hobby slowly. The speakers will be paid with cash saved up over the last 6 months.
Ill be working with Bill from Gallo Acoustics on a "B pair", I would think if I dont like them, they will offer a refund but I will double check before pulling the trigger.
After thinking about it all weekend, im starting to wonder if I really should consider the Strada/T3 combo instead of the 3.1s. Seems to me that it would make more sense in my smaller room and using audiophileliquidator, it looks to be close to the same damn price...

Thoughts?
Johsti,

Im leaning more and more to the stradas as well. I am just hoping for seamless integration with a sub cause ive had difficulties in the past making a sub and satellites work well together.