Alon 4 or JBL590?

By any chance has anyone out there heard both speakers and care to offer an opinion on which is better?
I may have a chance to buy either, but cannot audition beforehand.
Not recommended I know, but curious as to experiences of others as to how they compare!
spa317

Showing 1 response by rackon

Just to echo Ron, I loved my Alon IVs!  They were incredible value for money and  they did so many things well. They have a very open un-boxy sound with a HUGE soundstage. They need a some space and they do need a 200 watt high current amp to control those woofers, but with that and a good front end they will really sing.

I first drove them with little Meitner monos and pre, then moved up Herron mono blocks (150w each but high current and damping) and tubed preamp.  The latter combo sounded great on all kinds of music, all volume levels, ffff to ppp.  Yes, the Vs are better, and the Circes are fabulous, but the IVs will always have a special place in my heart. As long as you are wiling to match the amp to the IVs, and commit to bi-wire or tri-wire (the Alon Black Orpheus tri-wire can be had for cheap on used market) do not hesitate.

I'm just not a fan of the JBLs. Not as refined or timbrally pleasing to me. YMMV.
More to discover