Aesthetix Calypso or Pass Labs Preamp

I want to insert a 2 channel preamp in my multi channel system. I have narrowed down the list to Aesthetix Calypso (Signature?) and Pass Labs XP-10 (XP-20?). I was planning to keep this under $3,500 used which would disqualify the XP-20 and the signature, but if reports based on first hand usage convince me these more expensive units will trounce their cheaper brethren I may reconsider. My two channel source is a perfectwave DAC, and my poweramps are Jungson Class A JA-200 (not very well know, best compared with Pass Labs class A series).

Has anyone directly compared Pass and the Calypso?
Has anyone compared the XP-10 and XP-20?
Has anyone compared the Calypso and Calypso signature?

Which of the four options offers the best performance for the money?

I read all existing posts on the subject, so new insight is welcome.
edorr

Showing 2 responses by swanny76109

I have directly compared the Calypso and the Pass XP10. No contest, the Pass blows the Calypso away==much quieter, far superior build quality and much deeper and controlled bass. I think time to time about upgrading to the XP 20 but hard to say if it's going to be worth it.
To other posters who mentioned the X1, The X1 Pass is not comparable in any way to the XP series. I had the X1 before I moved up to the XP10. Completely different sonic signature and attenuation/gain. Pdreher, I had an issue with a used Calypso that I purchased here, and when it arrived there were some nuts that had loosened up and were knocking around. I opened the unit and did not like the build quality versus other gear I have owned, like the Pass. Not in the same league in my opinion. The casework does not compare to other equipment I have used. But that is only my brief experience. The tubes were new standard issue tubes. I did not try other tubes. The noise to which I allude is the excessive gain the pre provides (and i had it on the low setting, but that was too much gain for my system, Bel Canto Ref 1000 mk 2 amps, which are completely silent noise floor, so you can hear up the chain easily. I decided I am really a SS guy for my stereo, even tho I play a tube guitar amp.