Advise please for best system upgrade under $2,000

I'd like to spend about $2,000 or less to update my system on either new or used components. What would you spend it on to get the most improvement? Speakers, CD, preamp, or amp?
I'm currently running all Solid State: Aragon 4004MKII amp, B&K Ref 20 preamp/processor, Sony DVP S7700 for CD and DVD (96khz/24bit D/A) and Magnepan 2.7 speakers. It sounds very good but I'd like to try tubes to get more musicality and depth. I mainly listen to Jazz and Rock(not Hard Rock).
Unfortunately, there aren't many high end dealers here in Indy so I'd probably be buying without auditioning.

Here's what I'm currently thinking:
1. Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD player($1,000) with a separate MF X-10 tube buffer attached($399).
2. ARC, CJ, Cary or other tube preamp ($2,000 or less used here on Audiogon).

Please offer your thoughts. Specific component and model recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
128x128noble100

Showing 1 response by reubent

Noble,

So, it appears that you have only CD playback and DVD playback (in 2-channel stereo) available to you now. It also appears that having a pre/pro in your system is not necessarry as you are only playing 2-channel audio. If this is the case, I have a unique solution for your upgrade path.

Buy a Quad 99-CDP CD player! It has an excellent built-in volume control AND it allows you to connect other digital sources and use its internal 24/192K DAC to improve the sound quality of you other digital components. You could sell your pre/pro to suppliment the cost of the new CD player and still have all of the funtionality you need.

So, here would be the proposed system:

Sony DVP-S7000 (for DVD playback) connected via a digital cable into the Quad 99-CDP

Quad 99 CDP (for CD playback, remote volume control and 24/192K DAC), analog outputs of Quad connected to your power amp.

Aragon Amp

Speakers

I'm currently using a setup like this with the Quad 99 CDP acting as cd player, pre-amp and DAC for DVD playback. It is incredibly simple, incredibly compact and it sounds excellent!

The Quad 99 CDP is an excellent CD player and has replace a couple of more expensive units in my setup. It's analog volume control is excellent and bested my buddy's $4000 tube pre-amp (in transparency and articulation). The Quad 99 CDP is only $1495 new and I bought mine used for under $850. Since then, The Absloute Sound has reviewed it and given it a glowing recomendation.

Check it out. It could be a simple, cost effective solution to your upgrade quest.

Enjoy,

TIC