Advice and recommendations needed for a turntable rig...

So I have decided to add a source (analog) in one audio system I have. I will be getting a turntable, cartridge and phono preamp. Currently DO NOT have turntable in my audio system (although some 40 years I had a Thorens TD 320 (modest belt drive TT). I like the idea of a mass loading TT and interested in a heavy TT. Looking for advice from those who have used any TT set up and why. Looking in the modest budget of $3500 price range for all components. Currently looking at a Pro-ject x8 Evolution TT with a Sumiko Blue Point #3 MC cartridge and the Pro-Ject Phono Box Ds2 phonostage (a Michael Fremer positive review).

I listen to Jazz, Blues and instrument music mostly...

128x1282psyop

Get the best turntable you can afford. If you cheap out to dip your toes in the water as suggested by some of the guys, you'll be disappointed and you won't upgrade. 

Consider a used TT. Used heavy platter units from boutique suppliers can be very good value. See if you can find an old Nottingham Analogue table - so heavy that you have to push it up to speed by hand! But the sound is excellent, and not fatiguing.

Good luck!

Give Sota a hard look in the second-hand or refurbished market. A Sapphire is a simply excellent table that can be had in the ~$1K range in good condition for table only and in the ~$2.5K range with tonearm and cartridge in very good to excellent condition. They offer the best suspension available at sane asking price, are infinitely rebuildable and retain their value. They also have one of the best belt drive systems spinning a truly massive platter. Because of that, they are dimensionally larger than many, so space is an issue.

Tonearms can always be fiddled with and the Sota can be fit with many different types. Research them carefully, and look into more fully-featured designs. I believe VTA-on-the-fly is critical for proper playback. Cartridges are a whole other world, and others have posted some good advice. Start with a better MM and if you really decide you want to invest the time and effort, go MC. @sdbalsley has good advice on the phono stage: Adjustable loading allows you to match pretty much any type of MC if you go that route, future-proofing the device.

Cartridge set-up makes or breaks the rig, regardless of features. If the stylus isn’t aligned properly, it can’t reproduce the signal properly either. Alignment is an exercise in geometry. You can get paper protractors of the web for free that are just as valid as those costing beau coup bux. They all only work if you can see the stylus. Make sure you have a decent illuminated magnifying glass or bench magnifier handy. Some folks use a digital magnifier and like them; I prefer the eyeball. Scales for setting VTF range from simple balances to sleek electronic wonder instruments. As long as whatever you get can resolve in the 1.2 to 2.5 gram range, you’re fine for most any cartridge out there.

A word or three on anti-skate. There are many different opinions, and some get strident with them. Use a test record and follow cart/tonearm/table manufacturer guidelines when using it. That creates a reference point for you to apply your own best judgement from after you’ve gained some experience.

Record cleaning is also key, as many have mentioned. I’ve used LAST fluids since they were introduced and added an ultrasonic cleaner about 15 years ago. I do not have issues with surface noise unless the vinyl itself is damaged. That is a hazard with used records, and you will run into it. Those accessories aren’t inexpensive, so plan on allotting ~$300 for whatever fluid and brush combination decide to start with. Ultrasonic cleaners are all over the map. I’ve seen them on Amazon for a few hundred bucks complete and in hi-fi world for thousands. Mine was a hobbyist device for ~$800 and is totally satisfactory for my needs.

You’re embarking on a journey that formed the basis of the hobby for many of us from the very beginning. Don’t stress, have fun and remember always that it is a hobby and the goal is happy listening!

Good suggestion regarding the old Dual table.  Perhaps of sentimental value as well.  I had a Dual 1219 that I just finished restoring. (An old neighbor set this out for trash pickup!!  It sat in my basement for over 20 years and I finally made some time to restore it. Thank goodness for the internet.) It was a fun project.  If the OP has any questions on this project you are welcome to contact me.

Effischer. Thanks man, you always have great TT advice. And of course, thanks to others here as well who have much, much more knowledge than me. I am looking into VPI, Technics, SOTA, Fluance and even will check out getting the old Dual fixed up. Also will look into the proper phono stage and getting a good cartridge.