Adding a Herron VTSP 3A/360 Preamplifier to the system.

The new (new to me) Herron Audio VTSP 3A/360 Preamp will arrive Friday the fifth. Very much looking forward to it's arrival.

Beautifully built, and should sound that way as well.

Regards,
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xislandmandan

Showing 12 responses by islandmandan

Gentlemen, suddenly both channels have become noisy on the Herron Line Stage. I  I had one tube that became noisy, so I bought a new set, and it sounded just great for a few days.

Now, both channels are making a kind of scratchy sound (it can be heard if soft music is playing).

I have contacted Keith, hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. Nothing else in my system is having any issues.

Thanks and regards,

Dan

I installed the new batteries in the remote last night. All issues resolved. Listened to Canadian Brass Gabrielli last night. Magincal.

I'm in love with the VTSP 3A/360

Muleving, this one is the silver finish. It is one of the first VTSP units made, and has six tubes rather than four. I don't know what possesed me to buy it, just perusing the tube amps and preamps, but when I saw the Herron, I had to have it.

I'm hoping for a positive transformation, if it's anythiing like when I went from the Transcendent Sounds to the Modwright, it's going to be huge.
sebrof, I will give my impressions as to how I feel regarding the VTSP 3A/360 after it arrives, and has been in service for a little while.

And yes, it is that same unit that I pulled the trigger on, even though I didn't know I was looking for a preamp. I did though, feel like it was a pretty rare animal, and felt like it would brace up an area that could use some improvement

Thanks and regards,
Dan
Getlemen, the unit I bought is a used unit that was being offerred by Oswaldo Martinez of Let There be Sound. It was his personal unit. It's getting closer by the day. Another couple of days, and it will be here.

Best regards,
Dan
I've been using my custom built Tannoy HPD 315 speakers for years now, firsst with solid state, with which they sounded very good.

I switched to tube amps quite a  few years ago now, and with my latest amp purchase, the 3C24 amp built for me by Paul Birkeland of Bottlehead, they sound the best they ever have. When coupled to the Herron preamp, I'm expecting wonders through them, as they already are very enjoyable to listen to.

Well, Gentlemen, the VTSP 3A/360 arrived on Saturday. It took me all weekend for my 74 YOA stroke-affected body/mind to get it installed (and the twice as heavy Modwright packaged up and put away), but on Monday night I got to listen to it.

I was pretty much slack-jawed at how the music sounded. It was good before, but now it's soooo much better.

Everything sounds better, but well recorded piano really blew me away. And, I haven't got to vinyl yet, trying to rebuild the arm-raise mechanism for the old Dynavector 501 arm. Today's the day.

Only critiscism is the p-ss-poor remote control system that came in it. It's a learning process so far, but I think I'll be able to live with it

Other than the above-mentioned remote problem, it has delivered as promised.

Thanks for your interest, regards,

Dan

Yeah guys, hard one to figure out. Maybe it'll keep me walking for another few years. But the mind and ears get to rejoice anyway, though,right?

Regards,

Dan

Gentlemen, I am totally transfixed by how music sounds here at home now. I guess my snap decision was a good one, actually way beyond good. It's brought my system to what I was hoping for all along.

It only took me 50 years, but I'm sure happy now.

I played a Telarc CD of Ronnie Earl "Beyond The Blue Door" last night, and played it twice. 

Music never sounded this good before.

REgards,

Dan

Hello, yesterday I called Keith Herron to talk to him regarding my VTSP 3A/360 preamp.

We talked about whether an upgrade would be useful, and Keith said no, the unit I have is one of the very early ones using six 6922's, and is built in a way that it would not benefit from an upgrade.

My thanks goes out to Oswaldo Martinez, who sold it to me. It's all he said it was,  and I appreciate his honesty..

Regards,

Dan

I think part of my problem is I had my head where the sun doesn't shine (at least not much anymore). It turns out the issue was a 3C24 tube in my amplifier. I have no idea why I was so convinced I thought it was the preamplifier, but that's what it turned out to be. 

So, things are going swimmingly at the moment, which is how I like it. In my current condition, just keeping things dusted and adjusted is about all I'm able to for the most part.

I saved the best for last, though, the music has never sounded better.

Best regards,

Dan