Absolute Mystery

Leafing through the latest edition of The Absolute Sound tonight, I was surprised to see Robert Harley's half-page plug for Jonathan Valin's old out of print mystery novels, apparently now being revived for sale on Amazon's Kindle website. The plug does not appear to be a paid advertisement for Mr Valin's books. Rather, its just another article for the TAS readership to pore over. This strikes me as inappropriate and frankly unprofessional. Am I wrong?
psag

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"I read "the music lovers" and it was poor writing IMO!"

"I read most of his books many years ago,long before I had any inkling of any audiophilia connection.Perhaps it was a review of "The music lovers" that raised my curiosity.I liked his writing and his character "Harry Stoner".These are good books, entertaining and absorbing reading.I recall "The Lime Pit" as being one of the best.They still sit on shelves next to more well known writers.I think he earned that space.Whether the space afforded him in this post is valid,"favorite things" is pretty open ended and might just include about anything.Who can deny a friend a plug? Especially when it is deserved."

"I really liked "The Music Lovers". I haven't read any other of his books, but this one was good."

Now you've done it Psag. You started a free, unethical and unprofessional advertising campaign for Valin's books. And by the looks of it, you should easily eclipse Robert Harley. No one reads TAS, but quite a few read Audiogon threads, and now, thanks to you, JV's mystery books.
You could argue that an issue of The Absolute Sound is a mystery novel. Stereophile too.