AAD 2001 monitors, bi-amping experiment

I’ve been experimenting with amplifiers for my AAD 2001 monitors. Everything I’ve read indicates the AAD 2001 need a lot of power. Lately I’ve been using a Portal Audio Panache, which offers 100wpc.

A few days ago I came up with idea of bi-amping these using the Panache on the low end, and a tube amp on the top end. Using a McCormack Line Drive passive pre (dual outputs), I added Jolida 102B to drive the HF. Both amps have volume controls, which I can use to fine-tune the Hi/Lo balance.

The sound is toe-tapping, ear-to-ear smile lively. Don’t know if it’s “right”, or if it’s “better”, but it has definintely got me thinking.

Is what I am hearing a consequence of “tubes on top / SS down low”, or is it just a result of extra power?
designdude

Showing 1 response by jmbatkh

There are multiple things at work here, I think. The 2001s, which I own and love, can be a bit hot on top, something tubes can soften. In my case I padded down the tweeters just a smidge with a 1 ohm resistor, which solved the problem for me. Bi-amping gives you the ability to adjust the relative balance in the same way, to a much greater degree, of course. An yes, if underpowered for the room they won't open up properly.
These are great speakers sonically and in construction quality. Few speakers at any price are designed and constructed in such a cost-no-object way by such a great designer. They have the hallmarks of long term collectible classics.