A Zu / Tekton / Omega Speaker Positioning Thread

Friends,

I'm a couple of months into ownership of a pair of 10-inch fullrangers, Zu Omens in this case. In extensive play with positioning, I've managed to get incredible tone out of them, the best I've ever heard -- but great soundstaging still eludes me. Specifically they fail at creating images outside of the speakers. On a recording of Bill Berry's Ellington Allstars, for example, my old 2-way monitors placed a trumpet 2.5 feet to the outside of the right speaker, and a sax just to the left, still outside the speaker. Now it's just two _great-sounding_ horns emerging directly from the right speaker.

We may be up against a reality that the limitation of 10-inch fullrangers is the inability to completely disappear, but let us have a discussion of best practices when positioning these guys.
cymbop

Showing 1 response by gsm18439

Sean is great. He delivered my Def 4s and, after asking some basic questions about my listening habits and taking some measurements while adjusting the plate amplifier, positioned them so that they sound wonderful regardless of where I am standing or sitting. I agree with Morganc; a passionate manufacturer is a knowledgeable resource, and everyone who works at ZU is extremely approachable and helpful.