A system for my college-bound daughter

UGHH!!! Usually, the thought of creating a new system would be fun, but it's my daughter, and this time it's not. 

Sources wanted: Turntable, CDs, Airplay Streaming

Cost: Would be nice to keep under $1K, certainly under $1,500 (true… that's less than the cost of a cartridge in my main turntable). Way less is fine and encouraged, but I don't want to buy her crap and have her go down the wrong road.

Why I'm finding this hard: WAF but at an even higher level (Teen Acceptance Factor!). She likes the way Crosley looks, but even she admits the sound is crap. Hmm, Peachtree might work. I used to have Peachtree Nova. It was overrated, but it would be a fine start for her. The only thing is that the one with integrated wireless would consume most of the cost, leaving little for speakers and a turntable (I'm sure I could get a cheap solution for playing CDs).  

128x128intermediatic

Showing 1 response by 8044drussell

Her first consideration, IMHO, is real estate.
My son is a freshman and, even if it was a priority, he would not have space for anything more than a laptop and some Audioengine A5+ speakers. Even then, the A2+ would be a better choice.
Considerations include: roomate(s), clothing, food, food prep devices, computers, furniture, books, sports equipment, LPs, CDs, etc.
However, if she is fortunate to have the space, why not: NAD D3020 (with phono pre), any number of Elac/PSB/Pioneer speakers, Music Hall/ProJect/U-turn turntable, and a CD transport (sorry, I got nothing here)

Queue, “Four Yorkshiremen”...

My freshman year, for three of us iirc, all non-essential electronics consisted of: 2 lamps, a kettle for water, NAD 7140, Nakamichi BX-125 cassette deck, Ariston Q-deck turntable, Yamaha NS-75(?) speakers, Macintosh 512k with internal floppy, and a Macintosh 1024k (Fat Mac) with TWO floppy drives.