A problem with AC Power you may not have considered.

My posting is not about a stereo system but it is related to AC Power, from which all stereos draw power. Read on, I am sure you will find this interesting. I certainly did and it caused me to rethink and replan AC Power to my stereo.

At my real job as an electrical engineer, I manage a cross-disciplinary engineering team for a large energy company.   We make large, residential green energy management systems, a size that borders between most large homes and utility companies. A few months back, we released a new product to the 230VAC single-phase market (Australia, Europe, etc.) and recently introduced the same product to the 240VAC split phase market (USA, Canada, etc.).   In addition to a slew of UL, IEC, IEEE, CSA, TUV, and other safety codes, we also had to meet FCC Class B emissions (which all your digital audio equipment must also meet) and also meet FCC Susceptibility requirements (which digital audio does not have to meet, unfortunately).  

Since the two products are almost identical, I thought we could leverage what we learned for the 230VAC unit onto the 240VAC unit.   Well, this is where the impact of grid power to our stereos comes into our interest.  

The emissions requirement is of two parts, of which you may be familiar. One is radiated emission, which is the noise the product broadcasts into the air. The second part is conducted emissions, which is the noise the product injects onto the power lines and runs throughout your house and probably into your neighbors as well.  

The 230VAC unit passed emissions, which I expected as we did a lot of design work to make it pass.   The conducted part was a concern, since that injected noise is from the equipment our vendor produces, not something we designed in house. Well, when the certified testing house tested conducted emissions, it failed.   A couple of weeks of debug later, at 2K$ per day, the problem was solved when I suggested they test with the grid connection running through 8 feet of steel conduit, since all installations have at least 8 feet of conduit.

Fast-forward six months to the 240VAC testing, which took place here in the USA. Surprisingly, the unit failed conducted emissions, even though we used the same 8 feet of steel conduit.   Another week of debug, again at 2K$ per day, we stopped testing since it was clear a new design is needed to fix it. I designed a 50 Ampere Balanced LEMP Filter that had over 50-dBm isolation in the affected frequency range.   Problem solved.   So, why did 8 feet of conduit fix the problem one time and not the next? A good question.  

I took the same 8 AWG THHN wire we used to connect the unit to the grid, ran it through the same 8 feet of 1 ½ inch steel conduit, and rented some high frequency test equipment. In the conduit we had two 8 AWG wires for Line 1 and Line 2, one 8 AWG wire for Neutral, and another 8 AWG for Earth ground.   I ran a bandwidth test from Line 1 to Neutral and tied the conduit and Earth wire to earth, while the other Line wire floated. The test started at 60 Hz, which I referenced as 0 dBm and I ran the test all the way to 30 MHz.   The generator produced 10Vrms, the level I checked at each step, and fed a 50-Ohm load.   To my great surprise, I had a 2-dBm rise at 10 MHz where it began to roll off and was only 2 dBm down at 30 MHz, the limit of the test generator.   In other words, that length of pipe and THHN wire had a bandwidth of +/- 1 dBm from 60 Hz to 30 MHz!   Whoa! We are allowing a ton of injected noise into our systems!

To prove that, I grabbed the power supply from an analog stereo amplifier and fed the test signal through the cord, fuse, transformer, and measured the bandwidth on the secondary.   In spite of a UL/CSA approved transformer, it was surprisingly transparent to the test signal.   Throughout the test spectrum, it was never more than 6 dBm down and it peaked in a couple of areas, too.  

Our homes usually don’t have grounded conduit, what most homes have is Romex wire.   That stuff is transparent to radiated emissions and we live in a world of radiated emissions. Think cell phones, FM and AM radio, TV broadcasts, all the communication frequencies, plus who knows what we have for the dirty noise injected by electric motors. Think your fridge, your AC unit, your furnace, ceiling fans, light dimmers, electric vehicles (that is the reason they don’t usually come with an AM radio these days!), the list can go on for a long time.

For my stereo system here at the house, I built a smaller version of the LEMP filter, added additional suppression, along with 20,000 Amps of surge protection. I am also installing a dedicated earth ground as well.   However, you don’t have to home brew – you can purchase equipment that meets the local safety codes and is LAB certified to meet multiple suppression standards. These units have strong filters in them to clean up line power. There are replacement AC line cords on the market that contain RF suppression.   I don’t suggest you get a new mortgage just to buy AC noise suppression equipment or new line cords, but I do suggest you do something to kill those RF demons.  

Look for equipment that has at least 30 dB of suppression from 100 KHz to 15 or 20 MHz. Thirty to forty dB is the range where most emission problems fade away, so that is a good starting point.   Some equipment has lightening suppression as well; look for an IEEE spec stated in joules of energy, the more the better with a test pulse of 8/20 microseconds.   Don’t be afraid to stack some of the equipment in series.  

The lighting in your listening room can also matter a great deal. Stick with plain, old school incandescent bulbs; avoid the CFL’s, LED’s, neon’s, light dimmers, and other lights that require power supplies to run.   Incandescent bulbs are very quiet, which is why they appear regularly in emission anechoic chambers.   Although digital equipment is less sensitive than analog equipment, it is not immune to susceptibility.   Vacuum tube equipment usually has an edge over solid state, too.  

I hope what I wrote is of help to you in your quest for improved sound.  

Robert
128x128spatialking
spatialking OP118 posts12-15-2018 1:31pm

Do be aware if you spring for this - currently there are no NEMA receptacles or plugs designed for balanced 120VAC power.

See NEC 647.7 (4) Exception:
Receptacles and attachment plugs rated 125-volt, single phase, 15- or 20-amperes, and that are identified for use with grounded circuit conductors, shall be permitted in machine rooms, control rooms, equipment rooms, equipment racks, and other similar locations that are restricted to use by qualified personnel.
Also see 647.7 (4) (B) Isolated Ground Receptacles.
Isolated ground receptacles shall be permitted as described in 250.146(D); however, the branch circuit equipment grounding conductor shall be terminated as required in 647.6(B)

Orange IG receptacles are commonly used for 3 wire 60/120 volt power systems. And of course shall be GFCI protected.

Here’s the corker though. NEC 647.3 (1) and (2)
(1) The system is installed only in commercial or industrial occupancies.

(2) The system’s use is restricted to areas under close supervision by qualified personnel.
It’s not NEC approved to be installed and hardwired in a residential occupancy.
Though the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) has the final say.
IF a licensed electrician installs and wires it in a dwelling, he/she is not going to try and pull an electrical permit. Very good chance it will be denied.

Jim

Either way, I don't see any AHJ issuing a permit for residential use of this equipment.   Yes, NEC 647.7(4) allows for use in restricted situations but as you pointed out a residential home does not qualify.  Gosh, I wonder if the audiophile owner would even qualify as "qualified personnel" under NEC definitions?
I'd like to see an application where an AHJ signed a permit for the orange hospital ground NEMA 5-15R or NEMA 5-20R receptacle for a balanced 60VAC line.   I don't see that happening, especially in the stronger cities such as New York or Los Angeles.  (Stronger here meaning a number of AHJ's in the city sit on the UL or IEEE code boards)   Neutral has to be tied to earth, not to the end of 60VAC transformer leg.    Granted, maybe most equipment can deal with 60VAC on the neutral leg but I'd never want to bet my money all equipment is okay with it. 

An AHJ might buy off on NEC 647.7(4) for a 60 VAC single ended 60VAC line using the NEMA 5-15R or -20R receptacle in a restricted area but I sure don't see it happening for a 60VAC transformer leg on the neutral line.  However, that being said, they might indeed sign off on it if the equipment was hardwired, though.  That is surely a thought to ponder.
If you know of a installation that had a permit signed off for a Balanced 60VAC line using a Hospital Grade NEMA 5-15R or -20R receptacle, I sure like to hear about it.
Either way, I don’t see any AHJ issuing a permit for residential use of this equipment.
Agree.

If you read NEC Article 647 it clearly states 60/120V power systems are approved for use in commercial and industrial occupancies. Period..... NEC 647.3 General.

Years ago I worked with a member that was building a separate building structure on his property for his audio system. He wanted to feed his audio equipment from a 60/120V power system. I said he might try having his electrical contractor, when applying for the electrical permit, to specify the building will be used as a recording studio. Doing so the occupancy would be classified commercial. I said it also would depend on the zoning of the property. Some cities prohibit even light commercial, there in, a business in a residential area. It will all come down to the AHJ in his area. As memory serves me the permit was approved.

I’d like to see an application where an AHJ signed a permit for the orange hospital ground NEMA 5-15R or NEMA 5-20R receptacle for a balanced 60VAC line.
Not a problem if NEC 647.3 is met as well as the rest of 647 that applies.

Neutral has to be tied to earth, not to the end of 60VAC transformer leg. Granted, maybe most equipment can deal with 60VAC on the neutral leg but I’d never want to bet my money all equipment is okay with it.
The center tap, neutral, of a 60/120V transformer is tied to earth. The branch circuit equipment grounding conductor is connected, bonded, to transformer neutral as well. Not any different than the secondary of a single phase 120/240V transformer. The two hot (ungrounded) legs of the 60/120V power system will feed the receptacle.

Granted, maybe most equipment can deal with 60VAC on the neutral leg but I’d never want to bet my money all equipment is okay with it.
The audio equipment only sees 120Vac.

An AHJ might buy off on NEC 647.7(4) for a 60 VAC single ended 60VAC line using the NEMA 5-15R or -20R receptacle in a restricted area but I sure don’t see it happening for a 60VAC transformer leg on the neutral line. However, that being said, they might indeed sign off on it if the equipment was hardwired, though. That is surely a thought to ponder.
If you read NEC 647 hard wired receptacles fed from a 60/120Vac power system can only be installed in locations specified in Article 647. They also must meet 647.3 (2). "The system’s use is restricted to areas under close supervision by qualified personnel."

Equi-tech knows that. But they still skirt NEC Article 647 and sell to the general public.

Big bold letters.

Commercial and Industrial Products

(For Permanent Building Wiring and Temporary / Mobile Power)

https://www.equitech.com/equitech-products/

So why in big bold letters? Might have something to do the Listing of the equipment and to cover their butt from a lawsuit.
I had a full Equitech balanced installation in my home in Los Angeles and had no problems getting the permit signed off. The only requirement was that the balanced receptacles were all labeled “technical power only”

the real problem came in selling the house when the setup freaked out the buyer and I had to de-install the Equitech transformer in a hurry and replace it with a normal sub panel!
That is good to know!  I wouldn't expect LA to approve it, given how picky they are.