A great linestage/preamp "makes" a great system

I've evolved a very nice and synergistic 2 channel music system over the past decade (posted). The learning curve has been very steep at times, but the result has been worth the ride. The one component I've found the most elusive to get "right" is the linestage/preamp. I've owned resistor-based attenuators (EVS and Endler), passive TVCs (Django and amorphous core Promethius), Musical Design MP-1b and custom 2 box "balls out" (Black Gates/tantalum resistors/Schottky)solid state, fully tweaked Atma-Sphere MP-3, and Blue Circle 3000 GZPZ tubed units - all of which had virtues, but none possessing the full package. I understand where the passive crowd is coming from. That nth degree of transparency is very hard to get from actives. Likewise, the liquidity/body/"humanness" of great actives adds so much to my musical enjoyment. My new Audio Note L3 Kits "2 box" Custom build from Bill Baker of Bella Extreme has finally gotten me the best attributes of both passive and active designs I've used.

I'm wondering if any of you, like me, have been on the journey a while and have found the linestage/preamp to be the trickiest to get "right" in your system. For me a truly outstanding one is the centerpiece of my system.
jb0194

Showing 3 responses by jb0194

My experience over the years has been that the effect of any linestage/preamp in my systems has been the most unpredictable. Digital sources have consistently proven more refined/analog-sounding as I've moved up the cost ladder (ouch!). Once I understood how to match amplification with compatible loudspeakers and "tamed" the listening room, the "amp/speaker" choices distilled into a paradigm-based "flavor" preference and I've gotten what appeals best to my "taste". Preamp/linestage has been the most difficult component. I'll still hold on to my EVS XLR and Endler RCA passives (in case of active "failure") and a K&K fully balanced active linestage in my office system, as these have been the biggest bang for buck units outside of the Audio Note Custom.
Mechans, how I wish I'd have found the best preamp for my system so inexpensively. You are lucky, indeed! FWIW, I'm also a 6SN7 collector as an Atma OTL owner. There are greats among them and two of the four I now use in each monoblock are Sylvanias.

My custom Audio Note preamp uses a pair of 5687s in the gain stage, the "smaller sibling" of sorts to the 6SN7. I must like the character of the 6SN7/5687 family!
Features are definitely a huge consideration. One of the reasons I went the "custom" route with Bill Baker was to tailor a preamp to my liking. I wanted that glorious Audio Note sound with two pairs each of (transformer-coupled) balanced inputs and outputs. The M10 at the top of Audio Note's commercial preamp line has 'em (though I don't think a PAIR of each). I also wanted right and left channel 0.25 dB step DACT attenuators in addition to a DACT master volume attenuator to fine tune channel balance. Others surely would have a very different set of system-specific features.