A DAC to help overcome compressed music?

I have found after upgrading my system, to a much higher level then I ever had before, that with some of the music I enjoy I can now really hear how compressed the music is. I could always tell, but now it’s really obvious to the point of wondering what I can do about it - from a digital source perspective. Would perhaps a certain type of DAC or DAC’s that have various different settings as some do, help “improve” the compression in some way? Or do I simply need to live with it? I am sure there are many others that have had this happen to them. I use a Bluesound or Qobuz currently. 
128x128deadhead1000

Showing 1 response by adg101

Sounds like you’re using a Bluesound player on its own. Adding a DAC will probably make a huge difference as the DAC in the Bluesound is mediocre and maybe lifeless as ones system is more revealing., Lots of options out there and most manufacturers or vendors offer a return policy, so you can try at home and return if you don’t like.

I added a RME ADI 2 fs DAC which is  a very flexible with multiple filters to pick from, EQ and loudness settings so can be fine tuned to one’s preference. I run my RME dead flat with everything set to fix with the sharp filter and in my system find it incredibly revealing, open but with no harshness or fatigue. Some time ago I did add a Teddy Pardo linear power supply which improved the player but even without the LPS it sounded great.

I think you’re really hearing the limitations of the DAC in the Bluesound. Also try a different power cord on the Bluesound as I found it helps a little as well.