6922 Tubes!

Hi everyone, There are many old threads about the 6922, I wanted to know what people are using currently that wont break the bank, ( ie...$150 per tube seems a lot). I need to buy 4 new ones for my phono preamp. Should I just order a set of tubes from the manufacturer (Manley Labs) it seems they like to use Electro Harmonics and they are very affordable, so what does a $100 tube do?? because the originals were pretty nice sounding. I just dont want to overspend on tubes for the unit/system im using them in.  Help.

Matt M
128x128mattmiller

Showing 4 responses by jond

I had been having  issues with noisy tubes in my preamp, mostly NOS Amperex, and was getting sick of shelling out big bucks for NOS tubes. Went with some JJ 6922 Gold Pins from The Tubestore, an extra $5 for balanced triodes made them $29.95 each. Hands down the quietest 6922's I've ever used and they sound excellent.
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/JJ-E88CC-6922-Gold
A good current option especially if your preamp uses a lot of tubes, mine takes 6 6922's.
@mofimadness Thanks for that tip I bookmarked that page to try those out on my next retube, the price is right!
Just ordered 6 of the National Matsushita 7DJ8 platinums from Upscale should be here next Tuesday. Excited to see how they sound!
Got my tubes today thanks Upscale and USPS for super fast shipping and delivery! Installed and fired them up about 45 minutes ago, right off the bat I'm getting greater transparency, a bit more airy high frequencies without brightness, and a touch more depth to the soundstage. My close quarters setup prevents any real soundstage depth so every little bit is appreciated. Great sounding tubes already and if they improve with burn in that will be a bonus! Thanks @mofimadness  for the tip!