6922 6DJ8 or 12 AX7 tubes better for preamp?

I have found conflicting information regarding these 2 tubes for preamps. One camp, including Roger Modjeski in this very detailed article with testing data http://store.electron-valve.com/suof6dforau.html
feels the 6922 is superior. Tim Paravicini (EAR) uses the 6922 in the 88PB Phono preamp and is used in the Manley Steelhead. My local retailer, whose opinion I value, strongly believes that 12AX7 tube is superior, which is used in the Aesthetix IO and in the less expensive EAR phono preamp, 834 P. The 12 AX7 was reportedly specifically made for audio. Detractors of the 6922 state it sounds sterile. The IO and its 12AX7's has been criticized for being noisy, unless one takes extraordinary care with cables, tube selection, and tube matching, which would appear to support Roger's thesis. Am I sinking into the depths of audiopilia nervosa in evaluating tubes as part of my selection criteria for a great phono preamp? It goes without saying that audition is essential in the final decision. I have heard a modified EAR 834P on Quads Unlimited 57's and liked everything about what I heard, except would have liked a somewhat larger soundstage, which was likely more related to the speaker. I hope to audition an IO soon.
tompoodie

Showing 1 response by analog_soul

It depends on the design whether it is 12ax7 or 6922. I find the 12ax7 more dynamics & the 6922 has better mids. Its up to your preference.