5U4G suitable for Dyanco ST-70?

There have been several threads at various times on the suitability of subbing a 5U4G rectifier tube for either a 5V4G or a 5AR4 in a ST-70. I asked Will Vincent, a respected re-builder of ST-70s (among others) for his opinion and received the following email:

Harry: Never use a 5U4 in a Dynaco 70.....The power transformer is rated for 2 amps on the 5 volt winding....The 5U4 is rated at 3 amps......Not good......Will

So, I thought I should pass this along...
hap
I have been wanting to follow up on my post above about the 6L6G in my Stereo 70.  Initially I thought it had a very impressive midrange, but as time went on and I tried different 5U4 rectifiers, it became apparent that I wasn't so crazy about it, after all.  It seemed kind of fuzzy or something and the top end didn't sound quite right to me.  Whatever.  I know a lot of folks like 6L6 in the Stereo 70, so to each his own.  My favorite so far is the Gold Lion KT77.  I understand that the EH 6CA7 is probably also a very good choice.  I have reason to believe some Chinese tubes have really good potential in the 70 if you can find them properly screened and with straight pins.
Post removed 
I had an older set of JJ E34L that I liked a lot.

What don't you like about the EH 6CA7?
Post removed 
The Phillips version of the 5ar4 gz4 is a big built type and fantastic sounding 
several reviews on them they are an inch + taller and look great .
up there with the best ever made around $200 
the cryoedMatched kt66 with this tube and RCA 50s 7199 Black plates are a killer combo ,and you want a great cap set up. Audyn reference caps 
in my opinion better then any Mundorf cap and I have tried them all. In fact I like this cap better then their top Copper cap  and priced decent  
one thing I am doing putting in all Teflon Copper gold sockets noticably bettersonics plus Stabilant-22 on all cleanse tube pins and sockets ,as well as 
everyconnection .a Nasa favorite and last up to 14 years  if not disturbed and temps to 450. Tip of the day. And get a Furutech Copper gold IEC socket 
with filtering built in $65.