$50k - $80k Budget…Opinions please.

Long story short, I sold my beloved 2-channel to reduce family debt. In about a year-ish, I’ll be in a position to rebuild with a hefty budget. I loved my Harbeth + Pass Labs combo. My REL sub died before I really got to integrate it, so opinions wanted there as well. I fully understand the diminishing margin of returns when moving into some arenas, but that’s ok, opinions are strongly encouraged.

I listen to a lot of Miles Davis/Coltrane, Radiohead, Tool, Pearl Jam, Brent Cobb. I’ve often preferred “organic” or neutral, not sure how technical that is.

toddcowles

ghdprentice,

I actually did read your post that's why I made the comment

ghdprentice,

I did read your post and you said and I quote $160,000 system will always some better than an $80,000 system that was your own words and I responded saying no that's not the case all the time just depends what equipment you're using what wiring you're using what speaker you're using I've heard $80,000 systems at some better than $200,000 systems so you were wrong as usual.

Mr. Prentice wrote, "I found that carefully chosen component at each level sounds better than the last… so a $80K system will sound very significantly better than a $40K system and not nearly as good as a $160K."

I bolded the contentious part. Perhaps you should read more carefully before you post, especially if you are being highly critical.

Agree wholeheartedly with the recommendation to devote up to 5K of your ample budget to travel, auditioning systems with established synergy. Audio Connection in Verona NJ would be high on my personal list listening to Vandersteen Quattro CT and Kento CT paired with Ayre electronics. With your budget, would also audition Wilson and Sonus Faber. On the back end, make sure to spend money on room treatments —as 50% of what you hear is the room.  

@ghdprentice I am in agreement with you about the 'careful choices' needing to be considered. There is an additional requirement which is footwork. The options for  a selection of devices, especially ones that are capable of showing each component at its best does not just appear, they are usually found.

My system is a end product of what I will call a pre-forum era, much footwork has been put in and the result being, I have met with likeminded individuals and formed long term communications and friendships. I have been fortunate to have made discoveries that are far beyond my expectations.

As part of my social activities around my Audio Enthusiasm, I have demonstrated my system at weekend event I have been a visitor to on quite a few occassions.w , This event has been known to have up to 500 Visitors in attendance to experience a range of enthusiasts systems.

On the weekend of my Demo' I had a filled room that was not emptying, some attendees returned and stayed for most of the day. Some were quite frequent visitors and regularly requesting tracks to be played.

A Father and Son came to me at the end of the day and had deliberately made this time as a return visit, they informed me they owned a HiFi Company and have been producing TT's that retail at £50K and upwards, they also informed me the system I was demonstrating was on par with much of what they have heard from their own Clientele, where systems can easily accumulate a £200K retail value.

I was asked to play a Vinyl Track they had in their possession, one they knew very well, I was given a pat on the back as big thank you.

If I done my Math, I would be less that £40K all in, even with much of the system having been Commissioned to be Bespoke Designed and Built by time served very adept EE's and Engineers.

$50K as a budget, or up to $80k, is serious spending. Cautiousness is ones best friend, as there will be some real efforts made to encourage an individual to spend a large proportion if not all in a particular quarter.

I know a 'from the home' HiFi Dealer, based about 15 Miles from my home. Iwas once in their company when going through a rough trading patch and considering an alternative means for a income.

There was a suggestion of maybe a backer could be found to invest. I made an inquiry about how the sales would assure a backer of a safe return on their money. I was shown an Mono Block Valve Amp' retailing at £45K, that was arriving at the Vendors home with a purchase price and Import costs of approx' £22K.

I was shown a TT bought in at £15K and retailing at £40K, there were also lesser cost items with a similar ascension to a retail value.

I was shown a range of Horn Speakers, with the TOTR Model costing approx' £12K and retailing at £36K 

My assessment was Three Big Ticket Item sales in a Year and was their any need to leave the home to seek an alternative income. 

Was I tempted to make a offer to invest, no way, the relationship would have been doomed, I have no interest in requesting a Customer supplies me with that level of Profit. 

A very good friend of many years, developed a relationship with a well known UK HiFi Company's Proprietor. This is another Business that is a success as it isa Cottage Type Industry with very little overhead and very healthy Mark Ups to produce the retail price.

It was a short time of this new relationship, before my friend became assimilated into the ideas of Super Profit. I received a contact asking for my revealing the suppliers of a PC Triple C Wire I am a advocate of and suggest as a wire to be tried out in Cables.

I was offered a free PC Triple C Cable for my support, when it was made known the Cable was to be offered for $2K, I informed my friend we need a break from each other, as I am insulted to be expected to be, and am certainly not the individual who is to open the gate to such extortion of fellow audio enthusiasts. 

When I crunched the figures for the Cable intended to be produced, I was not too far off £120 for a Pair with a RCA Phono @ 1 Metre in Length.

Again I say it, cautiousness is ones friend, when being investigative and choosing where to spend.