$500 used CD Player Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a quality used CD player in the $500 neighbourhood. This unit will go into a small secondary system in my dining room, based around a NAD c352 integrated amp & Monitor Audio Silver monitor speakers. A few players that I have been considering are the Rotel RCD-1072, Music hall CD-25.2, Cambridge Audio Azur 540C v2 or Cambridge Audio's Azur 540c v2 or 640C v2.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
craig_hoch

Showing 1 response by davmou

I'll be the heretic and say this:

Sony Playstation One Model SCPH-1001 (not 300x or 500x, the 1001 is the real deal). One can be had on eBay for the outrageously exploitative price of $50 (was $15). Why?

1. Google it and read its hype
2. Unsubstantiated rumor has it that Shindo's are being demoed by its dealer off this unit.
3. I have one. It makes the Marantz CD-63SE (an okay player in its own rite) sounds analytical. The PS1 is not an immediately impressive unit by obvious attributes such as extensions and resolutions, but its temporally accuracy creates engagement over extended listening. Kinda like a moving magnet cartridge.

(And in case you're wondering. Yes, I once had a Radio Shack Optimus 3400 as well. There! Skeleton out of the closet!)