5.1 under 4k?

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and sub and hopefully stay under $4,500. I'm using a Marantz sr7007 and my room size is 10x20x12. Any suggestions on a used purchase? new?

Thanks in advance
jeffpell

Showing 14 responses by bo1972

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152753937785083&set=pb.588405082.-2207520000.1377296088.&type=3&theater

this is the one.....sorry
Def. Technology does not have crossovers to give depth and a wide stage. This is a standard use all the time. You would be a fool to choose for a 2-dimensional sound. I learn people the difference between 2 and 3-dimensional sound. I never had a client who prefers a 2-dimensional sound. And yess it is that easy!
Take a look at the Monitor Audio RX series. They are not difficult to drive and have one of the best respons in the low freq. The only brand in this price tag which make very good crossovers. They can give a deep and wide 3-dimensional stage like the best highend speakers can. Almost all other brands only give a 2-dimensional image cause of there crossovers.
I heard a few, the material they use is not the best in response. I did test many sub's in my life. Almost all sub's are too slow to get a stealth integration. Instruments and voices are very small in dimension. Many sub's make them bigger in proportion. I never heard or tested a ported sub which has full stealth integration. Ported sub's Always loose speed. Timing and speed are essential parts for a good subwoofer. I do business with someone who also does SVS. He asked me my opinion. I said: I could not sell this level to my customers. I am a perfectionist and only interested in the best.Even good never will be good enough for me!
I have had very expensive highend sets for many years. But I wanted to give clients the same feeling for less money. A deep and wide stage is the most important part for the absolute sound. A 3-dimensional sound is so much more thrilling than most 2-dimensional sound. Monitor Audio makes very good crossovers. This gives me the chance to sell a 3-dimensional image for less money. I never had a brand what was so easy to sell. Wenn you use amp's which can give a deep and wide stage with Monitor Audio speakers. You can people give a much higher level in sound. Wenn you go back to competitors they know directly what is missing. I want to sell 3-dimensional sound for lower prices. This works extreemly well.

SVS sub's are too slow to get the stealth level I want. Instruments and voices are not still small in dimension. If this would not be the problem I could have sold it. Now it is not good enough. It is that simple.
It is very simple to know what is 2 or 3-dimensional. I am in audio since 1998. I did listen to many many stuff. I Always test first to know what the properties of the equipment is you test. Wenn you have speakers and an amp which can give a deep stage both. You can test many sources to know if they also can give a deep and wide stage. Wenn a source cannot give a deep and wide stage, the depth and wide is gone. And you have a 2-dimensional image again. It is that simple. Use a source and amp which can give both a deep and wide stage. Then you test many differend speakers, and again you know which can give a deep and wide stage en which can't. I have done these tests hundreds of times. The audio shows with Deftec I never heard a deep and wide stage. Most shops here in Holland demonstrate Monitor Audio with 2-dimensional amps. Most do not understand well how to get it. They also do not know the amps and speakers who can give a deep and wide stage. Even distributers have less knowledge to understand this. At the end it is not difficult to explain what the difference is. I do this comparance now for about 6 years. It works extremly well.
Sorry, I think you cannot see the others ones? Those only matters. it is a serie of 10 pictures. And yess the first one is crappy indeed :)
The Apex sub of Monitor Audio is cheaper and better then the RX subwoofer. Most other sub's in this price range are a lot less fast in speed than the Apex Sub. I never sell the RX sub, go for the better and less expensive Apex sub. Next step go for an Onkyo Amp. You will hear how much more depth and wide it has compared to the Marantz. Drive and individual focus of instruments and voices is superior to Marantz. Why? Because the transformers they use deliver more ampères. I am surprised you bought the speakers this fast. Marantz can not give a deep and wide stage. That is why it is a 2-dimensional brand.
What I said earlier I do consulting in sound and vision. I worked for over 8 years in audio shops. I want to do thing differently and I needed more space. I love the freedom I have now.
The latest Onkyo amp's are better than the new Marantz in speed and individual focus. With Monitor Audio you also get more depth. Wenn you go back to Marantz the depth is fully gone. And you have a 2-dimensional image again with the Monitor Audio speakers. These test I have done hundreds of times. For me the outcome is like 1 and 1 is 2. It is that simple for me what kind of image you will get. Depth is the most thrilling part in highend audio. An amp of 100 dollar also gives a 2-dimensional image. A deep and wide stage makes 2 and Multi channel sound the most exiting.
Listen; you only get a deep and wide stage wenn; source, amp ( even pre amp and power amp), speakers en even cables can give a deep and wide stage. Wenn one part is not capable of giving depth, it is gone. Wenn you put a poweramp like Pass Labs or Primare to a Marantz surr receiver the depth is gone. I have done these tests also many times. Onkyo is the only brand in there price tag which is capable of giving a deep and wide stage. Many of my clients have an Onkyo surr processor with a Primare power amp with Monitor Audio. They all have a 3-dimensional deep and wide stage. I love to give clients for normal prices a 3-dimensional sound. Most of there friends all have a 2-dimensional sound. After hearing a 3-dimensional sound you want a 3-dimensional sound as well!
Wenn you have put on the connections right it will nog be a problem. Your speakers need about 300-350 hours to break in. In the first 24 hours you will hear the most difference. The humm in the low freq. will be gone after one day. After one week the high freq. will be less harsh. Mid freq. cost the most time. About 300-350 hours. MA speakers can be played a lot louder than most of there competitors. I never had a client who did blow them up.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152753934265083&set=a.10152753933975083.1073741826.588405082&type=1&theater

pictures from the show with the Monitor Audio Platinum set.
Just copy the link and you can see the pictures.
Always choose for a sub which is sealed and has only one driver on the front. Ported sub's are Always a lot slower. Wenn you later go for Audyssey XT32 or Pro you get the best integration with your speakers with a sealed subwoofer. It is very simple; all tests I did with sub's with 2 drivers; instruments and voices become bigger in proportion. Many ported sub's are not running syngron with the speakers.