33rpm vs 45rpm - which is better

Growing up, I was a big Peanuts comics fan including Vince Guaraldi’s music.

Recently, a remastered from tape “Great Pumpkin” vinyl was announced in both 331/3rpm and 45rpm, both are a single LP each at Elusive Disc. Both albums have the same number of songs.

It seems that playing slower allows for wider grooves, while faster may mean longer grooves. If so, I’ve no clue which one is better.

Which version offer the best sonics?

kennyc

Showing 2 responses by cd318

I was taught by the various audio magazines that 33rpm LP was the best available format for sonics, and yet when a friend bought round his 45rpm 12 inch single of Duran Duran's 'The Wild Boys' the dynamics were something my Linn/Naim system had never before conveyed.

In fact I can't recall hearing a poor sounding 12 inch 45rpm single. Therefore my vote goes to the 45rpm.

@larryi 

I do have fun shocking people with some original recordings that demonstrate how the art of recording has NOT improved in the last 60+ years.  I can put on a 1959 Columbia Brubeck "Time Out" or Ellington's "Blues in Orbit" to show that even stereo was fantastic way back in time.  Both recordings have had audiophile reissues, none quite match the originals.

Depending upon whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, that's either wonderful or a tragedy.

Wonderful that some people knew what they were doing back in 1959 or a tragedy that they don't or can't be bothered now.

Or perhaps it's just a simple question of economic demand and supply?

Maybe the average 1959 jazz afficinado expected a high standard of playback quality from this new LP format but the 2022 one is content with what they're given?

It's 2022, if you don't ask, you don't get.