300B tubes

I'm considering tube rolling on my Nagra 300p. It comes with 4 JJ 300bs, and I am curious about the Gold Lion re-issue 300B (had a great experience with their KT88s in the past). I am also considering the re-issued GE 300B and the Shuguang Treasure. Reliability and sound are both required in this price range. No troubles with the JJ - just curious to experiment.

I've read prior threads and searched the net. Thus far, very little on the Gold Lions, lots on the Shuguangs. Cheers and thanks.
hatari

Showing 2 responses by jfrech

Sorry I can't answer your question.

I just want to complement you on your Nagra 300p! I heard the Nagra 300p at my dealer last week, driving a set of Wilson Sasha's. Wow. The clarity, the dimensionality, the quietness. I am very impressed with this amp and will try it at home soon.

I was also wondering the same question on the 300b tubes. I do know Nagra heavily tests their tubes and I've tried other tubes in my Nagra PLL and VPS, nothing yet seriously betters to the stock.

Congratulations on a killer good amp!
So I love the Transparent Cables. Some of this might depend on your speaker choice, but they are just wonderful for me. Power cords I am using Shunyata again a great match.

Powercords are a big deal with Nagra, I've also found the power supply on your VPS likes good support (cones etc). Are you using the VFS shelf like your 300p amp has? It really helps the PLL and VPS (I stack these two-see my system pics)

I did try the red wine power supply. It really helps the VPS. Lowers the noise floor, everything is smoother, better flow to the music, better details. I'd go this route over a power cord.

Good luck on the tube hunt!