$2k for new Cartridge Benz LP or......

Hi all,

I'm looking to change my cartridge and have the opportunity to trade my Benz Ruby 2 for an LP for $2k. I will be able to hear the LP but not in my system...and the system I will hear it in is significantly differnent so the excercise may be less than useful. I also have Helikon on hand but found it not as pleasing through the mid band as the Benz. It is sitting on the shelf with probably less than 200hrs on it.

What else is out there around the $2k mark that would have the ease through the mid band and some slam..I have refurbed stacked ESLs running back through a Berning ZH 270 or Futterman H3 or Various vintage amps to an Aesthetix Io Sig with VC & 2 supplies . Arm is an SMEV and Hovland MusicGroove 2.

$2K is a challenge I know.. but this is the ease of entry for the LP I'd really love an upper end Koetsu but the $$$ are not workable now..Thanks for any comments.
nkj

Showing 2 responses by sirspeedy706802461

Oldvinyl,could you please elaborate on your experiences between the different phono cables you've tried,and why you settled on the Nordost.Also,did you ever try the Purist Venustas,or have a mutual friend who may own it.

Thanks in advance!
All of the potential choices,here are really quite valid,but Albert makes a salient point,regarding Koetsus.I had about ten years of music life,with Koetsus.They really can become addictive,and with good reason.Once you live with them(though there are other great designs now,but it still doesn't diminish the Koetsu legacy)it is really hard to pull away from that trademark,let's call it "sonic presentation",which is quite remarkable.I do wish I could sport a few designs,and a Koetsu would surely be one,though I've moved on.

I sold my Onyx Sapphire,and then Urushi to a friend,who gladly snatched it up.What he did was find a retip service in England(I forgot who),who did the work for300.00- 400.00 dollars per cartridge.He has been a busy beaver,snatching up an "almost wine cellar type" of collection,and retipping cheaply.He is ecstatic with the retip results,though NOT from Koetsu.Trust me,he knows what he's doing,and has been at the hobby for over thirty years.

Just food for thought.Best regards!