2012 Additions to Your Music Collection

The year is coming to an end and I just want to comment about some of the music I purchased. Every recording mentioned is highly recommended.

Feel free to talk about what you came across in 2012.

Bob Dylan -- Love And Theft, Original Mono Box Set, Time Out Of Mind. Can't say enough good things about Mr. Dylan. He's been so good for so long.

Boz Scaggs -- Dig. Boz can be hit or miss, but this is definitely a hit. Bass to die for.

Buddy & Julie Miller -- Written In Chalk

Cassandra Wilson -- Silver Pony. She's a national treasure.

Cocteau Twins -- Stars & Topsoil. A nice compilation.

Curtis Mayfield -- Superfly. I've never owned this record and after finally getting I realize for forty years I've denied myself a truly great record.

Dave Alvin -- Live From Austin TX. Kind of a greatest hits by one of the greatest living singer/songwriter.

Dream Academy -- Remembrance Day. I got a serious soft spot for their sound.

Esperanza Spalding -- Chamber & Radio Music Society. She's seriously talented and very entertaining.

Abercrombie/DeJohnette/Holland -- Homecoming, In the Moment. The sound even better 35 years after their first recordings.

Gretchen Parlato -- In A Dream, The Lost And Found. Sometime collaborator with Esperanza Spalding. There are some nice YouTube videos of them performing.

Hubert Sumlin -- Heart & Soul. If he had never played with Howlin' Wolf he would still be considered a top tier bluesman. He's an artist I will really miss.

Jack Wilkins -- Merge, Trioart. If you like jazz guitar he's a must hear.

James Blood Ulmer -- No Escape From the Blues.

Les Nubians -- Nu Revolution. A little like Sade, but more upbeat and a younger sound.

Macy Gray -- Covered.

Marshall Crenshaw -- Jaggedland. Another great record by Crenshaw.

Miles Davis Quintet -- Live In Europe 1967. Transitional period Miles.

Ojos De Brujo -- Aocana, Techari Live. Can't really describe it, but they are amazing. Techari also has a concert DVD. I don't see were they have ever played in the US.

Otis Rush -- All Your Love I Miss Loving.

Pete Anderson -- Daredevil, Even Things Up. Classy guitar roots rocking.

Red Hot Chili Peppers -- Mother's Milk. I've finally gotten into the RHCP.

Robbie Robertson -- How To Become Clairvoyant. Not great, but very, very good.

Roxy Music -- Complete Studio Recordings. A must have if you're a fan. A nice thing, they didn't remaster to make it loud.

Shelby Lynne -- Tears, Lies And Alibis. This is real country music.

Steve Cropper -- Dedicated - A Salute To the 5 Royales. Thank you Mr. Cropper for introducing me to their great music.

Swing Out Sister -- Beautiful Mess.

Tears For Fears -- Secret World.

Atlantic R&B 1947-1974. A definitive box set.
128x128onhwy61

Showing 1 response by onhwy61

I would also add Bryan Ferry's Olympia to the list. Similar to Donald Fagen's Sunken Condos in that each album has the artist mining familiar ground. It's just that they do it so well.