200g vinyl, more static?

I had been opting for 200g versions of records over their 45 counterparts.  I think 45's are great but I am willing to sacrifice sound quality for more time per side.  With that said, I notice that the 200g vinyls seem to create more static than others.  Am I nuts?  Anyone else notice this?

lps4eloise

Showing 4 responses by lewm

Last time I looked, electrons were subatomic "particles".  Otherwise, I still am dubious that the static charge is created by the stylus in the groove.  But I confess I have no conclusive evidence to the contrary except the white paper published years ago by the Shure Corporation in which they say they evaluated that cause and found no evidence for it.  What is weak about their argument is... no data.  Not even a description of how they eliminated stylus friction as a culprit.
I've been thinking about this interesting question, and it's very possible I am wrong in my analysis. If anyone has more data that pertains to LP thickness and static charge accumulation, please jump in.
Purity of the vinyl or lack of purity may have some effect, probably does, but please quote something more authoritative than a magazine article if you want me to believe thickness makes a difference. The static charge consists of ionized particles sitting on the surface, not physically bonded to or internal to the polymer. Which is why you can discharge the surface in an instant.
Static charge sits only on the surface of an LP.  Since 200g LPs have the same surface area as do any other standard size LPs, I see no reason to expect that 200g LPs would carry any more (or less) static charge than those of standard size.